cat battling CRF for two years, getting worse - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

cat battling CRF for two years, getting worse

My cat Tasha, 17 has been treated for crf for two years. I have her blood work done every six months and yesterday I got the bad news; SDMA 43 Creatine 4.8 BUN 64 Phosphorus 10. Her red and white counts are low and Potassium a bit low. She?s also anemic. She?s receiving 100 mg of sub q every other day and now we are increasing it to daily. B12 shots every other week. The vet is going to call in supplements for the Phosphorus and anemia. She?s a bit lethargic but is still social and using the litter box. Very small appetite. Has anyone experienced a cat with similar numbers and they stabilize for awhile? I love her so!

Last edited by marie73; 04-05-2018 at 03:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 05:17 PM
Banned

Hi Tasha999 !

The very best information and support for you is likely to come from the specialized online community of people who are already managing their cats' kidney issues - and have been doing this online for many years. They've had thousands of members - and, by joining up there you'll be able to benefit from all of their collective experience.

The group is sponsored by the same woman who wrote and manages the site (that some people call) the "Oracle" of all things kidney-kitties: Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat

You'll find them right here: Tanya's CKD Support Group

BEFORE you join, I recommend you get a new, separate email account (Yahoo & Gmail work) - because they use email as their 'operating platform'. A separate email addy will help you best manage the information flow.

If you'd like to know more about the group, there's lots about it here: Tanya's Guide - Support Group

I know you're worried about the numbers - Helen, who's behind the group and the website, has a mantra..."Treat the cat, not the numbers" and, I can tell you from personal experience with her group, that approach pays off! She has included some 'success stories on her site - look for this
ON THIS PAGE:

- Cats With High Numbers Which Reduced After Treatment
- Cats With High Numbers Which Did Not Change After Treatment
- Cats With Low Numbers Who Remained Stable

in the top left corner of this page: Tanya's Guide - Success Stories . I think you'll see, especially in the second section/link there (High Numbers/No Change), that numbers themselves will not necessarily determine outcomes. We tend to put perhaps too much trust in our Vets....it's important to consider that they do not have 'crystal balls' when they offer dire warnings. Managing kidney issues is really a re-balancing act....when a part of the system goes down, we intervene with a treatment and things level out again.

Do keep us updated.

Hope that helps !
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 04:18 AM
Premier Cat

Hi Tasha,

I am so sorry to hear about your kitty. I strongly second Stryker's suggestion about joining Tanya's CKD support group. I did, on his recommendation.

My Celia is 17.5 years old, in stage 4 CKD. Her numbers last month: BUN 104, creatinine 4.7, and phosphorus 7.3. Her potassium is also low, 3.5, and she also has anemia (HCT 20%). Back in January, the BUN was 97 and phosphorus 10, and the vet said it was time. But based on the suggestions I got from members of that support group, and the knowledge I gained from members as well as from the website, I told the vet that I wanted to start potassium supplements, a phosphorus binder, and an ESA if her hematocrit dropped below 20%. I also had to ask for anti-nausea meds, an appetite stimulant, an acid reducer, and pain meds for her arthritis.

Although Celia's now in her final few days, the help I got from that group has given us almost another 3 months together. In fact, we probably could go quite a while longer if Celia were a kitty that tolerated stress and treatment better. However, I can't do fluids at home, syringe-feed, give her pills, etc. because she gets so stressed that she will hide and run away from me for days after a single treatment that isn't even painful.

There are many members there whose kitties have been stable for a long time. even with high numbers. I would add a B complex and more vitamin B12 (but pills, not by injection). I hope you're using aluminum hydroxide (Amphogel) as a phosphorus binder?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks for your replies. I did join Tanya?s group last year and received valuable information but wanted to hear more successful experiences. She may feel a bit better today. She had doses of the Phosphorus binder so far.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 10:27 PM
Premier Cat

How bad is Tasha's anemia? If her hematocrit isn't below 20% (ie, you won't be starting an ESA), then you might try feeding chicken hearts and/or liver (though liver is higher in phosphorus) to try to raise it. Celia got an iron dextran shot.

I didn't mean to make you feel that you can't still have quite a bit of time with Tasha. In fact, with her BUN still relatively low, I'd think you have a very good chance of keeping her stable for a long time, especially if you can get that phosphorus down with the binder. There are several current members in the support group whose kitties are also stage 4 and have been stable for many, many months.

I should have noted that there is at least one crucial difference between Tasha and Celia, which is that you're doing subQ fluids daily. Celia has been stable for at least the past 2 months, and I know that we could have more time together, but due to her particular personality, I decided not to do any treatments that would stress her duly, and this includes subQs at home. I also opted give only meds that I could give her without causing undue stress. This means she only gets meds that I can hide in food, which seriously limits our options. Since you're already doing subQs, you'd be able to give some of the meds along with the fluids.

From what you say, it seems like the biggest issue is right now is getting her to eat. Is she getting anything for nausea (Cerenia or ondansetron), stomach acid (famotidine or ranitidine) and/or appetite (Periactin, mirtazapine)? Those would help her to regain some appetite.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Tasha?s Hemocrit is 26.1 but the vet doesn?t want to treat the anemia until she?s on the Phosphorus binder for three weeks. Her Potassium is borderline low. She takes Mirtapizine for appetite and it seems to be working.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 08:44 PM
Premier Cat

So glad that the mirtazapine is working! Celia had an adverse reaction to it so gets Periactin. HCT 26 is not terrible but ideally you want it in the 30s so anything you can feed to bump it up naturally would help with lethargy. Cooked egg white is another option.

Tasha's phosphorus should come down pretty quickly. Celia's was 10 in mid-January, but 8.1 4 weeks later, after a month of phosphorus binders. It only went down to 7.3 the next month, but that was because she was getting less. The aluminum hydroxide doesn't have a taste, exactly, but it is a little gritty, and to me it had a slightly metallic aftertaste. I don't know if that's what Celia thought, but I had to give only a little bit of the binder in her food, or she would refuse it.

If she starts to show any signs of potassium imbalance, especially weakness in her hind legs, I wouldn't hesitate to add a potassium supplement, and B vitamins daily.

Please keep us updated on how she does with the binder and additional fluids!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

An update on Tasha: She went to the vet yesterday, she gained a bit of weight but the vet said it may be due to daily sub q but at least she didnít lose. I mentioned I was suspect to her eyesight as Tasha lately has been walking along the wall. Her retina is not detached but when the vet took her blood pressure it was 180. Alas blood pressure meds! She wonít have her phosphorus checked for another two weeks. Iíve been successful giving in food so Iím hoping things will be better for awhile.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 04:21 PM
Premier Cat

Tasha, at 17 years old, has had a wonderful run, she has known you, and Love, and care...
Just wishing you both the best...
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 02:22 AM
Premier Cat

Tasha, I had a kitty who went blind due to retinal hemorrhage/detachment. It sounds like you may have caught the high blood pressure in time to at least prevent further damage, if not to reverse any vision loss. I hope she's on amlodipine? It should work within a couple of weeks. If her BP doesn't come down at the next check, I'd recommend trying the brand name, Norvasc. Margaux (my blind kitty) was on benazapril for over a year, with zero effect, then amlodipine for another year at least, with zero effect. When Celia was also found to have high BP, and amlodipine didn't make a difference, the vet said many kitties didn't seem to respond well to the generic and asked if I wanted to try the brand name, which is oh, 10 or 20x the cost of the generic. But it brought the BP down to normal and controlled it well for years for both kitties.

Fingers crossed that the phosphorus comes down on the next bloodwork!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page