Constipation - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Constipation

Emma seems constipated.

We were travelling for a week and her sitter reported no poop for about four days, then a small hard poop, then a normal one. In the day and a half since we came home, she's had one tiny hard poop, out of her box. No blood.

She seems otherwise fine. She behaves normally, is eating (we only feed her wet food), is producing a fair amount of urine and is not straining in her litter box, so far as we can tell. She threw up a hairball a few days ago, but that's not unusual for her.

Is this a vet issue? Should we try some pumpkin? If so, exactly what form? 1/8 teaspoon miralax? Something else?

All of the other constipation posts I've seen have involved cats which seemed in distress or having other symptoms, which is not the case here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 08:10 AM
Cat

If you have a regular vet I would call for advice. That she is urinating and pooping at all means to me that she got stressed over the away time. I would try a little pumpkin and plenty of attention. For dinner maybe some boiled boneless chicken breast. Cats have a way of processing stress that isn't easy to discern and she still might be stressing.

4ever in my Heart
Dizzy my PookieMoose
June 2003- August 26 2017
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator

Since she's eating, peeing & pooping I would not be running to the vet. Some plain canned pumpkin (no pie spices) would be helpful. Diggin' Pets also makes a powdered pumpkin that you reconstitute yourself. I'd start with 1/2 tsp. You can go up to a tbsp if need be. I would stick with her canned food and also add some water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Cat

We don't really have a regular vet. She pooped another small dry pellet.

I'll try some plain pumpkin pie filling (no spices), about a tsp or tbsp per meal, in her food? Her regular canned food (Weruva paw lickin chicken) is rather moist, but we'll try adding a bit of water (her other fav, Evo 95% chicken and turkey, was unfortunately discontinued, and we haven't found a replacement). We leave her a bowl of water, but we've never seen her drink water.

Does that all sound correct?

BTW, we often rub her with moist hands to remove excess fur and she had a lot this time.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 02:14 AM
Premier Cat

Yes, the more water you can get into her, the better. I think just a little bit of pumpkin - maybe not even a tsp. If the pumpkin doesn't do anything, and she's still eating, I'd start Miralax. You don't want to wait until she stops eating or gets very uncomfortable, at which point she might need an enema. If she has been eating a normal amount all this time, and has only produced one normal poop, then it sounds like she definitely needs your help. If she's a kitty who likes tummy rubs, you could try massaging her tummy. When my kitty got constipated (which was frequent), sometimes the vet would try to just "break up" some of the hard stool by massaging her tummy area.

The extra fur might go along with DizzysDad's suspicion that this might be a stress reaction to your absence. The amount of fur my kitties shed at the vet was astonishing sometimes. She may continue to be stressed for another couple of days until she's reassured that you aren't going away again (at least in the immediate future). Lots of snuggles and attention should help on that front.

I hope something works soon!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 08:15 AM
Jr. Cat

My little girl never would drink out of her bowl of water so I tried a fountain and she drinks from it all the time. I was amazed. Might want to give that a try at sometime. Itís worth a try.

Don't be to critical of a mistake. It is evidence that at least
someone tried to do something.
Become better than you used to be, not better than someone else.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Cat

The pumpkin worked like magic. I put a tsp on her food. She sniffed it, walked away, came back and tentatively licked it, then went to her box and had a normal pee and poop.

She's been eating somewhat dried pet grasses throughout (she won't eat it when it's fresh). That might have had an effect. Or maybe it was just time.

Thanks!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 06:47 PM
Cat

"There are few things in life that beat a good dump."

4ever in my Heart
Dizzy my PookieMoose
June 2003- August 26 2017
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 01:05 AM
Premier Cat

So glad to hear it fusion! Now that you know she'll take the pumpkin, you have a plan in case she gets constipated again. Maybe something to keep around in case of future travels!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Cat

She did not poop since I posted yesterday (about 36 hours), although she otherwise behaved normally and produced plenty of urine. I put a teaspoon of pumpkin in her food, which was once again magic. She looked at it and immediately went to her litter box. A lot of scratching and a bit of meowing. She produced some poop and a bit of urine.

I'm not sure if I should start to worry. I'll continue to monitor the situation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page