Cat is lethargic, hiding...input greatly appreciated! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Cat is lethargic, hiding...input greatly appreciated!

So the only time I posted on this forum was just about three years ago when our beloved Lola was having health issues. Soon after that it was discovered that she had a large tumor in her chest and we had to put her down to end her suffering. Since then we were blessed with another calico named Molly. We rescued her and have had her for almost two years. She is normally very energetic, playful, etc. Several days ago her energy level dropped suddenly. This was first noticed when she was "hiding" in a spot she never has before, under a couch in our living room where she usually goes very rarely. We also noticed that she is walking much more slowly and it seems hard for her to get up and down stairs. She is still using her litter box and eating, although less frequently. I should back up by mentioning that about two weeks ago we noticed some swelling and intermittent bleeding from one of her back toes/pads. We took her to the doctor the very next day where they administered an antibiotic shot and sent us on our way. A week later the swelling had still not gone down (reminded me of a person's swollen finger) so we went back to the doctor. Upon closer inspection it was discovered that she has a small cyst in between one of her paw pads. Nothing else was done at that point as we were offered the option of surgery to have it removed. We were going to schedule it soon, up until her behavior changed like I mentioned. She is a declawed cat, don't panic, we did not declaw her and never would. Our last calico was also declawed. However, Molly is declawed on the front AND back paws (I know, terrible). I'm not sure if that really has to do with anything, but I'd like to focus on the other information I've provided instead of turning this into a declawing debate. We do have another appointment on Wednesday to address her behavior changes. It is very hard for me not to think of the "worst case scenario" due to the fact that the last time we had a sick cat, we had to make the ultimate decision. I'm sure many of you understand my anxiety/paranoia. We have been using this doctor for 25+ years and trust her fully. I am just looking for some opinions on what could be causing her to lose energy and possibly appetite as well...and if it could somehow be related to this paw issue she has had. Maybe a possible infection has spread? I have also observed that she has not moved her bowels in over two days. Mayne she is simply constipated? This has happened before but her other behaviors remained normal. Any input is very much appreciated as I'd like the appointment to be as comprehensive as possible. Thank you!

Last edited by derekjl; 04-24-2018 at 10:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 02:09 AM
Premier Cat

I'm so sorry to hear that Molly's not feeling well - and hiding is a definite sign of that. I don't think that what you're seeing are behavioral issues but medical ones.

Did the vet think that her current paw issues might be related to her declawing surgeries? Do you know when she had it done?

Given that she's having some difficulty walking and going up and down stairs, her lack of energy and appetite might indicate that she's in pain, maybe related to her paws, or something else. In addition to asking for bloodwork (in case of an infection), I think I'd ask for an x-ray of her paws.

I would also ask the vet if pain meds might be in order. Buprenorphine is one of the safest. I had long avoided it because my kitty was prone to constipation, and it's an opioid so can cause constipation. But if anything, it seemed to help her poo (maybe because it's only a partial opioid agonist? I don't know).

My kitty had chronic issues with constipation and ended up at the emergency vet once because she could barely walk, and I didn't know what was wrong. So yes, constipation can also definitely cause a lot of discomfort. You could try a little plain canned pumpkin. That seems to work well for many kitties.

Celia's vet once gave her a massive dose of catlax, and that did the trick, but she also needed enemas several times, and those are miserable, so I hope Molly poops soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page