My cat is having constipation issues - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

My cat is having constipation issues

Please note: I am calling first thing tomorrow morning to get her seen.

Hello everyone,

I was up all night with my senior cat who is almost 17 years old rom 10:00 PM to 4AM she was straining to go poop. I assume constipated. She would strain and diarrhea would come out and she would keep throwing up off and on. She got some poop out and is doing a lot better. No more straining or anything but i can tell she's not herself. She is almost 17 years old and with her age I fear the worst and I go worst case scenario on everything but really I'm just trying to prepare myself. I'm calling the vet tomorrow to get her in. She has been drinking her water and I gave her some wet food watered down she licked off of.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had similar issues with their cat before? Also if you could keep my cat in your prayers I would appreciate it. <3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I wanted to add on that this happened one other time before a couple of weeks ago but not as bad. The first time around I lifted up her tail and I could see the poop trying to come out and then a few minutes later it did, But this second time around seemed much worse because when i lifted her tail I didn't see any poop trying to come out. My poor baby.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 10:15 PM
Premier Cat

Argh. Just wrote a response and it disappeared. Second try:

I'm sorry your kitty is having trouble pooping. This seems fairly common in older kitties. My Celia had chronic issues and got Miralax every day. We started with 1/8 tsp daily and increased to about 1/4 tsp. over 4 years or so, when the 1/8 tsp no longer seemed effective.

Anything you can do to get more water into her will help. Adding water to her wet food is great. You can put in quite a bit and mix it up so that the food is the consistency of porridge or a thick soup.

Have you noticed that she's drinking more water or peeing more? Since she is a senior kitty, it's possible that she's starting to have kidney issues. Don't let that freak you out. Even if that's what it is, many CKD kitties remain stable and live for a very long time with the right treatment. Celia was diagnosed about 16 months before she passed away, and had she been the type of kitty who would have tolerated more treatment, she'd still be with me now. Unfortunately for me, she wasn't. She would have hated it.

I do hope it's not CKD or anything serious. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a good vet visit tomorrow!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I haven't noticed if she is. I don't think she is drinking more than usual or peeing a lot more either. I have been putting the water on her food and making sure she drinks water as well. She is purring and eating just fine. I hope it is nothing serious but she is getting up there. Thank you for your reply to me. I am hoping for a good visit too.

Last edited by marie73; 05-01-2018 at 11:47 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 10:50 PM
Premier Cat

I forgot. For immediate(ish) relief, you could try giving her just a little bit of plain canned pumpkin, or even baby food squash. That seems to work wonders for many kitties.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Okay thank you so much!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

We just got home from the vet. My baby girl is resting comfortably in my moms room. They did blood work. The doctor came in. She said her blood work looked very good for an older cat. Her kidneys looked good and all. She said something with the liver or bilirubin wasn’t in normal as it was a little high. She said that could be pancreatitis, an inflammation of the bowel or a cancer but she’s leaning towards an inflammation of some sorts. They are gave her a vitamin shot and have her on a different diet. They told me to give her miralax daily. And they also hydrated her because the bloodwork showed she was deyhdrated. They also shaved her up a bit too because she was matted. I very much so hope this treatment plan works out for her.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 06:13 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Got a happy update on my kitty cat!

We have had her on the new diet since May 1. I've been giving her the miralax daily and she has had no episodes of constipation. She seems to be doing so much better. She comes into my bedroom a lot to be with me and spends 90% of her time upstairs. However yesterday I went outside with my baby nephew and came back into grab some wipes. I was shocked to have seen my cat was on the last step at the bottom of the stairs. It has been at least 6 years since she's come downstairs on her own without me carrying down. I almost started crying and then I panicked because I got to thinking about what if she has cancer and that's why she's doing all these things she normally didn't do. You know like sometimes humans and animals that are sick with cancer they are different than before when they were sick you know what I mean? The vet when we seen her on May 1 she said it could be inflammatory bowel disease, pancreatitis, or cancer bc of her bilirubin being 1.1 which is considered high for cats. She couldn't feel any tumors but she said that's not to say something is hiding in there and she says the only way to know for certain would be to do a biopsy but since my baby girl is 17 years old that it would not be good for her to go through that.

I was just wondering what you think of this update? Do you think it sounds like a good sign to not be cancer? I talked to the girl at he vet yesterday she thought it was probably good that she is feeling better and that cats normally hide when they aren't well. I just wanted to know your thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page