10 year old Vomitting, Extreme Thirst - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

10 year old Vomitting, Extreme Thirst

Our cat is ten years old and a week ago he began vomiting almost on a daily basis, sometimes projectile vomiting, and is extremely thirsty. He can have a meal at 6 a.m. but throw it up at 2 pm with parts still not digested.

He still has an appetite but he doesnít eat as much at one time. After he eats, he will go in the other room and just sit there, motionless, as if something is bothering him. He has also lost weight, probably due to not being able to hold food and lack of food volume.

He sees the vet later this morning for blood work.

He has always been a frequent water drinker, but the last week, itís been a huge difference, a frequent intake of water for him. His frequency of peeing hasnít changed. I havenít noticed an increase in the times he pees.

He isnít overweight, by the way. Like I said, heís dropped weight in the last ten days.

Iím scared because I once had a cat that had a similar problem and they found a tumor near the heart and the cat didnít come back home with me.

Maybe itís a virus.
Diabetes?
Kidneys.
A few months ago he killed two mice that got in the house. Did he pick up something?

Very scared.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Awaiting blood test results.
CBC/Comprehensive
Thyroid profile

He needed SQ fluids.
Home now and he actually groomed himself. Havenít seen that in days says.

Praying itís not kidneys.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Okay, I got the news.....Renal Failure. BUN high.

She said to take him to this clinic where he will get fluids overnight and then we can treat him with diet and etc.

she said if you do that he likely has ďmany yearsĒ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 02:00 PM
Cat Addict

Per Stryker: Good support groups and info:

"The group is sponsored by the same woman who wrote and manages the site (that some people call) the "Oracle" of all things kidney-kitties: Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat

Support group: You'll find them right here: https://tanyackd.groups.io/g/support
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you.

The most important thing I learned today is ďrenal failureĒ in cats doesnít necessarily mean instant death, far from it, provided the cat is monitored and given the care.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 05:39 PM
Premier Cat

Hi dalemanyzeros1,

I'm so sorry for the diagnosis. Don't think of it as renal failure but chronic kidney disease; many cats live a very long time with it, especially when diagnosed and treated early. I do really strongly recommend that you read the overview information on the website catloverami linked to above and that you join the support group as well. I got great advice, but by the time I joined the group, my kitty's CKD was stage 4, and we were limited in treatment options.

There are members who have way more experience and who are far more up-to-date on current protocols regarding CKD than most vets. They are also more proactive.

Will you be giving subQ fluids at home, or is your kitty not at that point yet? It's really one of the most crucial elements in keeping those kidney values low. The other is a prescription renal diet, but if kitty won't eat it (most won't), there are other food options.

What's your kitty's name?

Hope to see you over at the support group as well as here!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Chappie (Chaplin, named after the filmmaker).

He was just diagnosed today and he goes into the hospital tomorrow, overnight due to dehydration.

He then begins his regimen, which I donít know yet what it is.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 12:50 AM
Premier Cat

I'm sorry Chappie's got to go to the hospital. I guess they're doing IV fluids.

The good news was that he was grooming after getting the subQ fluids, so he should be feeling a lot better after more at the hospital. IV fluids are often done for several days; I'm sure they'll be charting his BUN and creatinine. They should come down, though it might not be right away.

Head scratches to your little guy!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks.

Heís just going in overnight.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Update:

The vet phoned and said Chappie has improved since the IV fluids. He had an appetite, ate a lot and didnít throw up.

She did say, though, that he has bad kidney disease . When he came in his creatinine was 9.0 but since fluids he is at 7.5, and they want to see if one more night in the facility with an IV can get that number even better.

The doctor said the more IV fluids now, the better chance he has for more years to live. So heís staying overnight again. Once heís home, it will be up to us to give him the treatment he needs to keep those numbers level.

I guess this routine sounds familiar to many of you with this issue.

Dale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page