Any Kitty Parents Experience IBD? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Any Kitty Parents Experience IBD?

My sweet Sabrina is an 11 year old Torti. For the past couple of years, she has experienced increasing episodes of vomiting and in the past 6 months, the vomiting has been projectile at times. Vet put her on prednisolone in February 2017 and put her on a new diet of Hills Science Prescription z/d dry kibble. She did well on the prednisolone but I was worried about her being on it long term so after her being on it for 8 months, tapered off and she went completely off it in November 2017. At that point, the vet wanted to try her on Pepcid AC to try to control the vomiting which gave her terrible diarrhea. She lost a lot of weight during November and December 2017 and started projectile vomiting. On January 2, 2018, I took her to the vet and he ran bloodwork and tried another short course of prednisolone, this time for only a month. He switched her diet to the Hills Science Prescription i/d. He also felt some impacted fecal matter when he examined her and sent us home with some lactulose and also prescribed metoclopramide as he thought it would help increase intestinal motility. From January - April of this year, she gained some of her weight back and would sometimes go as long as a week without vomiting. Then, 4 days ago, she had projectile vomiting in the middle of the night, followed by hiding the next day and when she came out, appeared very lethargic and walked like she was in pain. She then had more projectile vomiting that evening. She was not eating her dry food so I gave her some canned food. She went 2 1/2 days without a bowel movement and then finally went last night but was straining. I took her to a new vet today to try to get a 2nd opinion. Vet said it sounded like IBD and that she may need to go on another course of prednisolone and stay on it the rest of her life. The vet drew blood to run a digestive panel, gave her a shot of B 12 and also so IV fluids as she was very dehydrated. Vet also weighed her and said she is very underweight at only 5.5 pounds. When I asked about if diet could be contributing and was concerned that many of the prescription diets contain grains, the vet said Hills z/d diet or a duck and potato diet would be best. The vet also wanted to do an endoscopy to examine her small intestine and do some biopsies but the cost was going to be $1,200 which I can't afford. So the vet sent us home with the prednisolone and said I may also need to give regular shots of vitamin B 12 but she would wait until bloodwork came back to determine if that would be necessary. Has anyone out there had experience with IBD? If so, do you have any suggestions on diet? I honestly hate the prescription diets as they are just a multi billion dollar industry and I also read quite a bit on grains not being good for cats. Thank you for taking the time to read my lengthy post! I am so worried about my little girl.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 01:29 PM
Premier Cat

Projectile vomiting and not pooping could be impacted intestines since the vet you took her to in Jan. stated he could feel them. Currently, my 2 yr. old Devon "Fitty" is having difficulties lately with vomiting, not pooping or only passing small rounded dry poops. He has a vet appt. later this week to have vet check him out and have bloodwork done, but I have been able to get his poops softer and more normal looking. He's also feeling better and more energetic. He's being fed canned food, with addition of a heaping tsp. of pure canned pumpkin puree (not pie filling that has added sugar, etc.), a couple of teaspoons of water, a tsp. of coconut oil or vegetable oil or a supplement called "Richard' Organics Hairball Remedy (Home - Synergy Labs, made in Fort Lauderdale, FL). This is all mixed up to a "pudding or soupy" consistency. Fitty is one of those cats that likes to eat stuff that he shouldn't!, such as tinfoil, wax paper, dental floss, etc. He is a real challenge! Over a year ago he got a blockage in his stomach from a tinfoil wrapping from a small triangular cheese he snatched off a plate. Fortunately it passed out, but it was a big vet bill with a lot of tests. Recently, he ate some wax paper, because it had some meat juice on it, and it caused "impacted intestines" for a while until I started adding the extra water, oil, and pumpkin. I'm trying my best to avoid any more impacted intestines, because they can lead to megacolon which is very serious condition because the intestine becomes enlarged and loses its peristalsis (that moves the feces along) and becomes static so the cat can't poop and then needs enemas to clear out the fecal matter or surgery to correct the megacolon. I'm not a vet or vet tech, but these suggestions are working for me so far. Hope you can get your girl's bowels softened up. Here are a couple of links you may find helpful.

https://www.vetinfo.com/impacted-bow...toms-cats.html

https://www.petmd.com/blogs/nutritio...-in-cats-30472

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

I've had 2 cats with IBD, Callie & Kobi.

I agree with getting her off the prescription diets. I would go with canned food only as kibble is very hard to digest. Choose a protein that she hasn't had before like venison, rabbit, goat or pork. High quality food only...Hound & Gatos makes some good choices. Feed several small meals per day...6 is good. If you have to, get a timer feeder if you're gone more than 4 hours or so (with ice packs or refrigerate the food before putting it in).

B12 shots helped Kobi. Going with a small regular dose of pred is not the worst thing in the world, especially if it keeps your cat alive.

I would also add probiotics and digestive enzymes (I like Animal Essentials brand-no smell or flavor) to the food. Probiotics to help keep the digestive flora balanced. Enzymes, because at this point her gut is probably damaged and not making the right quantities of enzymes needed so she can't digest and absorb her food properly which accounts for the weight loss.

Kobi was also on a medication (whose name escapes me right now) that is actually a chemo drug used for treating digestive lymphoma. I believe it gave me over a year with him that I wouldn't have gotten without it. However it was really expensive.

This site has a ton of good info on IBD:

IBDKitties ? Helping Save Lives?One Paw at a Time

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 11:42 PM
Premier Cat

The good news is that Fitty's bloodwork checked out well....no thyroidism, or evidence of pancreatitis, but vet wants him on a single diet of a new protein (venison), Royal Canin (Sensitivity VR). When I got home I checked the label and wasn't happy to see Carrageenan included which a lot of cat food companies are eliminating from their canned food because of its connection with development of diabetes. The next step vet wants to do is a biopsy of his intestines. Right now I'm sitting on the fence about this, since I've managed to get his stools softer. The vet is concerned he may have IBD (Inflammatory Bowel Disease), of the many years I've owned cats I've had no experience with this. Fitty is being fed 4 times a day.....first meal on the Royal Canin canned food, Fitty loved it and cleaned his plate.....second meal ate only a third of it...third meal refused to eat it. Next meal ate maybe 1/8 of it, refuse the next meal, third meal today I added in some of his Fancy Feast (chicken and tuna) on different places on his plate, and he gobbled up the F/F but ignored the Royal Canin completely. He's quite thin and has lost weight, so I'm in the dilemma that I can't let him go long without eating or he's going to end up with liver problems! Vet is trying to get a different food that doesn't have the Carrageenan in it. He is a worry for me that's for sure.
Thanks, Doodlebug for the IBD link......will check it out.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 08:28 AM
Jr. Cat

You got come great advice here. I am now in two Facebook groups for IBD cats. One associated with the link Doodlebug gave you and the other is the raw feeding for IBD kitties.

Read the ingredients of those prescription diets. You won't want to feed your cat that afterwards. Han is a new cat and all he eats is Hound and Gatos. NEVER any dry, nor standard dry treats (unless freeze dried or air dried raw). I started with the rabbit. 8 weeks only rabbit (costly but better than some test costs). The improvement was rapid. We have now added lamb and pork.

Reflecting back on the instructions I got from the vet, Han would still be sick if I followed them. I know that is not the case for all cats, but I find that disturbing. Vet would have had Han on hypoallergenic dry food and eventually steroids. All meds, though helpful, have consequences as well. Excited we avoided them.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 05:53 PM
Premier Cat

I was able to substitute the Royal Canin VR (venison) for Rayne "Kangaroo Maint" (made in Australia). He really likes it which is a plus. His poops are also "normal" now, so that is a relief. Just hope he continues on this trend. He's also more energetic definitely feeling better than he has been for a while. Fingers crossed!

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 06:35 PM
Jr. Cat

Awesome, I have not tried Rayne, but Han's demotologist suggested it as another clean source of rabbit wet food.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Catloverami-Thank you for all the info. in your original response. I will check out the links you sent. Also, sorry to hear about Fitty and his troubles. Glad to hear the bloodwork came back normal. I hope he is starting to gain some weight and that the vet was able to find a better option for the food. I can understand that you are on the fence about the biopsy. My vet told me she wanted to do an endoscopic biopsy on Sabrina and the cost was going to be $1,200 which I just can't afford. I have read mixed reviews on the endoscopic biopsy as sometimes, they can't always see past the upper part of the small intestine and also they can't always get a sample to biopsy that goes through all the layers of the intestine. Again, thank you for the info. Keep me posted on how Fitty in doing!

Doodlebug-Thank you for all your info. as well. It think I may try the probiotics and digestive enzymes. Sorry to hear Callie and Kobi struggled with IBD. How long were they able to live with it?

Smoda61-Thank you for your post. So glad to hear from other kitty parents on their experiences!

Last edited by marie73; 05-29-2018 at 12:54 AM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 11:23 PM
Premier Cat

Diana410 and doodlebug - Thanks for the info you got on the biopsy.....ouch! that is expen$ive! Thanks doodlebug for all your great info re treatment of your IBD cats.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page