litter permanently stuck to cat's skin - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

litter permanently stuck to cat's skin

I have what I guess is an unusual circumstance I can't seem to find any advice about. We have two cats, both about fifteen years old. They were litter-mates, but one was a short-hair and the other a long-hair. We've used clumping cat littler for a long time. It seems to work well with no problems for our cats, until now.
My wife noticed our long-haired cat seemed to be walking a bit slower, not climbing around as much for a couple of days. When she picked her up and examined her she noticed there was some clumping cat-litter stuck to her fur on her belly near her bottom. It seemed to actually be restricting the motion of her hind legs. She tried to brush it out, but it's totally stuck to her fur, almost like cement. I tried bathing her, using cat-shampoo and then hydrogen peroxide, and then I applied some antiobiotic-plus-pain-relief cream, which gave her some temprary relief, but nothing seems to really dissolve it. We of course stopped using the clumping litter for her, but her mobility is getting worse, almost like the hide of her upper hind legs are glued to her belly, which pulls her skin when she walks.
I tried to shave it off, but it's too close to her skin and too hard to get the shaver in to do any good. We took her to our vet (the same vet we've used for years), but all she said was "Well, you know she's not a young cat anymore. Maybe you should just euthanize her." That's not going to happen, she's an otherwise healthy cat and probably has a few good years left. (Her mother lived to be almost twenty-one.) Her other suggestion was to possibly give her an anesthesia and try to remove it however possible, whether through shaving, possibly even removing some of her hide, whatever it takes to get it off, but the vet warned us that putting an older cat under anesthesia is very risky and might kill her. So to us that's really not much of an option either.
It seems like it could be such a simple thing to take care of if I just could find out what might dissolve this stuff without hurting her skin. It seems like it's getting more painful for her to walk every day, and I can imagine it would be as it keeps tugging at her hide more and more. I would really appreciate any help or advice someone could give us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

As a last resort at home, I'd try Dawn dishwashing liquid, soaking the area for a LONG time. But I'd also be taking her to a new vet. She must be in terrible pain all the time. She needs a solution now.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 05:15 PM
Cat Addict

If you can try to find the clear Dawn which is harder to do but I buy it to use on my clothes sometimes. It works great on oil type stains. I would also try soaking the area. The vet has tranquilizers that might calm her enough for you to really get in there and see what is going on or soak her in a tub while petting her, etc. I also would contact the manufacturer of the litter. I would go up to a supervisor level. Maybe they know something that would dissolve the litter? Is the litter embedded into the skin? If you can afford it try a different vet for a second opinion. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page