Going 12 hours or more without peeing - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Going 12 hours or more without peeing

My female cat seems healthy. She is indoor and outdoor cat but when I come home at 6, she is indoor only until like 8 the next morning. She prefers to sleep in the garage because of her pesky son dominating her all the time. There is a litter box in there and I would say she used it 5 times in a year. That is over 12 hours without peeing. I think she goes sometimes in the in house litter box when she does sleep overnight in the house (her choice). So I took some of that litter and put it in the box in the garage. Nothing... Do I need to worry that she is holding it for so long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 11:29 PM
Premier Cat

I hate to suggest it, but...are you sure she isn't peeing somewhere that you can't see? It's really unlikely that she's holding her pee that long.

If she really is holding her pee, that could potentially cause issues. I think holding pee can lead to urinary tract infections.

Has she always been like this, or is this new behavior?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I don't think she is peeing anywhere else - I sure don't smell anything. She has been like this for a long time. Since she likes to sleep in the garage, she climbs up on shelving and sleeps there all night. My male cat does pee and sometimes poop overnight. She did pee a few times in the litter box in the garage but a few times in months. I started to worry from reading posts here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I just ordered Dr. Elsley cat attract litter and I am going to try that in the box to see if it makes a difference altho has some undesired qualities based on the reviews.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 12:09 AM
Cat

When my tabby cat, Otis, was young, he'd get stuck behind the television console every time we left home. I don't know what he was trying to do, but we'd have to move this big heavy piece of furniture when we got home and he would race to the litter box. Sometimes we'd be gone overnight, or even for two days. He never peed behind there, but always held it until we came home to release him. Twelve hours doesn't sound like much compared to that for a young cat. My old cats couldn't last that long, because they pee so much. As long as you are providing a litter box for her when she sleeps in the garage, I wouldn't worry about it unless she is peeing elsewhere.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Just in case this may help someone else, I replace 50% of the litter (the top layer) with Dr. Elsley cat attract and this morning there was pee in it. I can't assume it was Mama cat but I will have a better idea after the next few work days.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Dr. Elsley worked. More pee this morning after the night in the garage. I guess I won't worry as much now
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 07:45 PM
Premier Cat

So glad that it worked! I never used the Cat Attract litter, but I did use the additive (it's way less expensive than buying the litter). It didn't work for the kitty I was hoping it would work for, but Celia definitely found the box with the additive more appealing.

And the best thing is that you don't need to be worried!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page