Advice And Information On Feline Corona Virus (FeCV) Infection In My Cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Advice And Information On Feline Corona Virus (FeCV) Infection In My Cat

Hi,

My cat Jupiter, 4 yr old male Persian mix was recently found to be positive for FeCV. To give you a little bit of background on him, he was rescue found abandoned outside the building we stay in and he presented GI issues from the start. From time to time he presented bloody stool with mucus in it because of which my vet suspected and treated him for Giardia but he continued to present once in a while. The vet suggested doing a Diarrhea panel which turned out to be positive for FeCV.

She recommended giving him a dose of Vibragen Omega to boost his immunity. I am not sure if she plans to give it to him regularly or to try and boost his immunity to see if his body will eliminate the FeCV. I tried researching about this medication online but was only able to find resources about it being used on cats that developed Feline infectious peritonitis (FIP) which yielded mixed results but nothing about using it as treatment on cats that are FeCV positive but FIP negative. I would appreciate any advice on how to deal with this disease and giving Jupiter his best chance at leading a long, FIP free life. Please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 02:46 AM
Premier Cat

I'm so sorry about the FeCV diagnosis. Honestly, this is the first time I've heard of a kitty being diagnosed with it, so I did a bit of poking around online. I didn't realize that there was a second condition caused by the coronavirus.

How did the vet determine that it's FeCV? The diagnosis has to be made based on more than just tests, because tests can't differentiate between the different strains of the virus. So the PCR diarrhea panel plus the fact that the only symptom Jupiter's showing is diarrhea? https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-p...us-peritonitis

Because of the risk that the virus can mutate into the one causing FIP, I wouldn't make a distinction between FeCV and FIP in terms of treatment (and at any rate, it appears that treatment is pretty much the same). I'd ask your vet about dosing for the Virbagen Omega. It looks like it needs to be administered for at least 3 weeks. Wow, it's expensive though. The only other thing I know of to boost the immune system is l-lysine. Maybe it would be worth adding a supplement? But ask your vet first.

I did find a positive bit of news, in case worst comes to worst, and the FeCV does mutate into FIP. There was a clinical trial done that showed successful reversal of FIP with something called a protease inhibitor.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4814111/

There are, unfortunately, members who have lost their kitties to FIP, and they may have some ideas for you. Wishing you and Jupiter all the best!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 04:24 AM
Premier Cat

Feline Corona Virus is not a huge concern. Many cats have been exposed to this virus ... between 50-80%. FeCoV is common. However, in anywhere from 2-5% of Cats (depends on which study you read), FeCoV can mutate into the FIP Virus, which is fatal. The chances of it mutating are higher depending on how much stress the cat is under. Some studies say the higher the titer value of the FeCoV, the greater the chance of mutation into FIP.

When I battled FIP with Simba for over two years, someone explained it all to me via an analogy. FeCoV is like a common cold in a baby. If you test babies, many will test as having had a cold by 8-10 months. In a very small number of these babies, their cold may have mutated in pneumonia. FIP would be that pneumonia in cats.

If you are concerned about your cats FeCoV mutating into FIP, all you can really do is try to keep the cat as stress free as possible and keep it as healthy as possible. Make sure you feed a good quality food, closely monitor its health, and love it every day. Unfortunately, scientists say it is in their genes if it will mutate or not....so...pray your cat has good genes.

...Always in my heart... Mocha....Nov. 13, 2002 - Dec. 6, 2013
.... Slave to Bengal Cats....Luna, Mystik, Simba, Komet, Meli,
Spark
, and Star
.....and a collection of kittens at various times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 04:28 AM
Premier Cat

Did the fecal PCR test show anything other than FeCoV?

Is Jasper on a dry food diet? If so, the dry food may be causing the GI upset and the occasional blood/mucus in the stool. Try a grain free wet diet (or raw).

Spark
, and Star
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Mocha's Mommy,

To answer your question yes he was also tested positive for the clostridium perfringens alpha toxin gene but at an almost negligible level. The vet said we could treat it with antibiotics but since he reacts poorly to it and as the level is so minute she did not seem keen on it. He gets grain free wet food in the night and in the morning he gets dry food. He doesn't seem constipated if that's your concern and his stools are soft but with form except when the blood shows up.

I did read that in many cats FeCV lays dormant except for the occasional presentation of mild symptoms but since he has had issues ever since we got him we are always watching him for any signs of malaise and I fear this diagnosis will have me running to the vet if sneezes too hard. I just want to give him the best chance he can without stressing him out with constant vet visits and medications which he hates. We are soon planning a big move that will involve a long plane journey and I am extremely worried about how that will affect him. It's just so sad because he's obviously had rough life before he came to us, being abandoned on the streets in country like Kuwait where the temperatures can be searing. In addition to that he hates being picked up and flinches when we touch and he does not see it coming but at the same time he actively seeks out our company when he wants to and has a much calmer disposition than my older cat. Another reason I am worried about him is because of the indiscriminate breeding the practices in Kuwait cats often face a large number of issues. I had one kitten who died right before his first birthday because he developed a clot and he other genetic defects as well. This guy seem too seems to have spine the slightly curved up and I suspect his immunity is not greatest especially compared my other cat which is why I am looking into things that will help boost his immunity.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Spirite,

The vet made her diagnosis on the basis of his medical hx, the PCR results. She also said FeCV was very common in cats here. At the moment he is only positive for FeCV. I am hoping to find ways to boost his immunity to help eliminate the virus if it helps him to before it can mutate. Yes, vibragen is very expensive and I have only found data supporting it's use in animals with FIP. The vet did say that it would have to administered at a more diluted concentration than if he had FIP but I am unsure if it will help him.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Guys I forgot to mention I do have a second cat, female Persian mix, 10 yrs old. She was negative for FeCV but also positive for CPA toxin gene at much higher levels than Jupiter but she is not presenting in anyway and my vet suggested we wait and watch her instead of plying her with medication
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 12:53 AM
Premier Cat

If the PCR showed on,y FeCoV, then I suspect the blood/mucus in the stool has a high probability of being dietary....either a food allergy, grain allergy, or the dry food irritates his bowels. I would eliminate his dry food if you are able to....just feed wet. If you can, try raw food as that often clears the digestive system.

Spark
, and Star
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page