My cat bleeding and hard time peeing - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Cat

My cat bleeding and hard time peeing

Just brought my cat to the vet, he will be confined for 3 days with cat ether i have been treating him for almost a month with Doxycycline for almost a
Month now, previous vet diagnose him with infectious anemia thus the blood in urine he said , but its been almost a month and my cat still has a hard time
Peeing anf also has some blood, but earlier tonigjt he had lots of bleeding, lots of blood so i brought him to another vet. Bet was suspecting stones, but no stones found in xray, also the vet said the catether was easily inserted. I have to leave him there for 3 days

Any ideas what could be wrong with my cat? I'm really hoping he recovers.

He likes to eat plastic plants and even our snake plant he has almost finished it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

get rid of the plastic plants, it can't be good for that traveling through his system

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 05:12 PM
Premier Cat

I'm sorry to hear about your kitty.

What tests did the vet do to diagnose infectious anemia? I did a little research, and as far as I can tell, blood in the urine is not a symptom of infectious anemia, and a PCR panel may be needed to confirm a diagnosis. Blood in urine is usually a symptom of stones or some kind of urinary tract/bladder infection, so I assume the vet prescribed doxycycline trying to kill two birds with one stone, both the infectious anemia and the blood in the urine.

However, after a month, with kitty still having blood in the urine and the vet finding no stones, it seems like the doxy has not been effective for the infection. Did kitty have more bloodwork to see whether the doxy has been effective for the infectious anemia? Is the vet now giving a different antibiotic, like Clavamox or Baytril, for the bladder/UTI?

Eating plastic is usually a sign of pica, but since he's also eating real plants, maybe he's eating the plastic ones because he thinks they're real? Sometimes, kitties instinctively want to eat plants or grass when they've got tummy issues. Did you mention this to the vet? Every little thing might help to diagnose what's going on.

I hope you're able to find the cause so that kitty feels better soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks. Then previous vet told us to return for blood test after a month. But it not yet been a full
Month, i still have some docycycline left. Besides doxy, he was also given nefrotec.

I checked the previous test and what was done was cbc with white platelet differenctial test and biochemistry test.

Wasn't able to sleep last night
I brought him to another vet, they have good feedback. Hope they are able to treat him.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 01:17 AM
Premier Cat

No urinalysis was done by the previous vet?

Even if it hasn't been a full month, you should have seen improvement after a few days of the doxy. You should finish the remaining doses, but I would ask the new vet to do new bloodwork and a urinalysis. Otherwise, you can't know whether the doxy has been effective for the infectious anemia.

Do you know what the nefrotec is for? I'm not familiar with it, but it seems like it's probably for the kidneys. I'm wondering if the vet suspected a kidney infection?

Can you visit while kitty is at the clinic? It might help him to feel calm if you bring a piece of your clothing (worn, unwashed) and leave it with him. Poor little guy!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 04:31 AM
Premier Cat

If you have copies of the blood and urine tests, please post them. Some members have helped out in the past with reading them and letting owners know what the results mean.

...Always in my heart... Mocha....Nov. 13, 2002 - Dec. 6, 2013
.... Slave to Bengal Cats....Luna, Mystik, Simba, Komet, Meli,
Spark
, and Star
.....and a collection of kittens at various times.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks , was able to visit him earlier
Today, really wish i can take him
Home the vet told me he was not reacting to anybody until we arrived he was really alert so far the blood test done and urinalysis . Creatinine was normal, liver also normal and white bloodcells

He still has a cat ether on him .

Here is the previous lab results

I will try to visit him again tomorrow .
The vet will see if he can urinate by himself after 2 days. But vet said there seems to be no stone as catheter was inserted easily . Unlike another cat there which they were not able to insert the catether.

I
Miss my cat already

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Cat

was able to get an update from the vet today .

my cat is alert, and appetite is ok. his stool is well formed. no fever.
but there is still blood in the urine
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 02:25 AM
Premier Cat

I'm so sorry that he still has blood in the urine. But it sounds like your visit perked him up, and it's good news that he's alert and eating.

I am not an expert, but looking at those labs, I am even more puzzled by the infectious anemia diagnosis. True, his RBC count is low, but his HCT, while on the lower end of normal, is still in normal range. Kitties with HCT under 30 are diagnosed as mildly anemic.

The blood chemistry is very limited, but the kidneys are fine. I'm still wondering what that other med, the nefrotec, was for. Are you still giving it?

Does the new vet agree with the diagnosis of infectious anemia? Does he/she have any ideas of what might be going on if it's not stones?

Essentially, the vet needs to know what's going on in order to treat it effectively, so I think it would be worth it to go all out to try to get a firm diagnosis.

If this were my kitty, I would ask the vet to repeat bloodwork, but do a full blood chemistry, and a CBC with differential, and a urinalysis. I would also ask the vet whether a urine culture & sensitivity test, an ultrasound, and/or a PCR panel would be helpful in trying to diagnose the issue.

Oh, do you have the results of the urinalysis as well?

Is it one more day in the hospital? I hope you'll be able to visit. Don't forget to bring some clothing from home so he can be reassured while he's there!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Cat

yup I'll drop by the vet later to talk to the vet again.
not sure if urinalysis was done.
but latest blood test shows his liver is good, kidney is good.
oh i forgot to bring him a cloth that he likes to sleep on
one more day hope he is recovered tomorrow so i can bring him home.

just worried that there is still bleeding .

also hope there is nothing hard to treat .
so far this is what i was able to find regarding nefrotec:

Nefrotec DS

Antilithic, diuretic and urinary antiseptic

Action:

Antilithic: The drug helps to break down uroliths (bladder stones) by clinging on to the mucin bondage. It also prevents the recurrence of bladder stones.

Diuretic: It flushes out toxins and removes excess fluid from the body.

Urinary antiseptic: Nefrotec DS prevents the recurrence of urinary tract infections because of its antiseptic properties.

by the way what is the PCR panel for?

Last edited by marie73; 06-04-2018 at 03:17 AM. Reason: quoting the whole freaking post right above
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page