"stew" vs. pate: interesting discovery - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

"stew" vs. pate: interesting discovery

For several months I've been feeding my cats 50% Weruva canned and 50% NV Instinct canned. The price I was paying for the Instinct was a great deal, which is the only reason I could afford to feed it. The website I was ordering from has raised the price on both foods significantly, so now I'm needing to pick a new food again. I can continue to get Weruva as the price on other sites is fine, but I won't be able to buy the Instinct. I need it to be pate, because the calorie content of stew type foods, like Weruva, is not high enough, I'd have to feed more of it and it's no cheaper than most pate foods.

In my search for a new food I came across Lisa Pierson's cat food chart: https://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProt...horusChart.pdf
I went through it, marking down the foods which had low carbs and had more protein than fat since I would consider those to be ideal. I also don't want to feed fish either. I soon found that nearly every food that fit those requirements was a stew type. Almost all of the pate foods had more fat than protein, with the exception of some fish varieties (especially tuna). Is this purely a cost thing? Pate foods are cheaper on a per calorie basis, is this why or is there some other reason pate foods need to use more fat?

I just found it interesting that stews seemed healthier, it certainly didn't help me with my dilemma! I'm trying to see if I can find a way to afford strictly stew types by buying larger cans (Weruva appears to have 10 oz cans which I wasn't aware of) or something. I have a hard time finding pate types they like anyway, Instinct was really it, most types they eat for a few days and then start refusing it. But they love stews.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

It's the fat that boosts the calories. A gram of fat has 9 calories, protein and carbs have 4 calories. So if you want high calories, you get high fat. Weruva is coming out with pates this month. They have a chicken formula that is 4% fat at 172 calories for 5.5 oz.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page