Cat with Health Issues, spasms - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Unhappy Cat with Health Issues, spasms

We have a mature, desexed male cat with a health issue that is baffling us. Vets unable to help, cant diagnose it or suggest treatments. He is overweight, so cannot groom his back. He gets an itch on his back & it sends him into what we call a "spac attack". He loses control of himself and spins helplessly trying to reach his back. He has no control & bites himself, badly, drawing blood, sometimes a lot - on his sides, legs & feet. It is very dangerous as he doesn't know what he's doing, so will bite us if we try to interfere. Very scary, he slashed hubby's wrist deeply, if it had sliced a vein or artery, he could have died before we could get to hospital or doctors as we live 45 minutes from town. The attacks only last maybe 20-30 seconds. No idea what triggers the attacks, he can be asleep, resting, walking, eating. He is a very affectionate & loving cat & we are at our wits' end.
What we've tried: Brushing his back firmly every day, removing all loose hairs. Oils & conditioners. Anti-histamines. Nothing seems to make much difference, although brushing seems to reduce the number of attacks (from up to 6 a day to 2 or 3) & possibly the severity of the attacks, although yesterday he bit his foot so badly there was blood everywhere.
We keep him free of fleas with regular monthly flea treatments. The vets could not identify any ringworm or other fungus type issues.
One vet thought he might have some sort of mental problem, but I doubt it. He was a stray, I believe he was dumped, possibly because of this issue, but for the first 3 years he was here he didn't have the problem. It seems to have come on only in the last year or so, since he became too overweight. We have him on a strict diet and he has already lost a lot of weight, but still cant reach his back. The vets suggest euthanising him, but he is a lovely cat & we really don't want to do that without trying everything we can.
I'd be very interested to hear any suggestions, and whether anybody else has ever experienced anything like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wallace4.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	122968  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 10:59 PM
Premier Cat

Hmmm.... it might be Feline Hyperesthesia Syndrome, a strange condition that is difficult to diagnose. The fact that your boy seems to have a severe problem with this condition biting himself and people is very worrisome.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."

Last edited by marie73; 06-14-2018 at 02:09 AM. Reason: You Tube links not allowed, links to other cat forums not allowed
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator

I'm thinking Hyperesthesia as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 08:35 AM
Cat

Helen I tried sending you a link to a video by Dr. Karen Becker but your box is full? so I suggest you google her name because it very much could be Hyperesthesia. ~Best

ps he is a doll!

4ever in my Heart
Dizzy my PookieMoose
June 2003- August 26 2017
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 02:26 PM
Premier Cat

Hi Helen,
My first thought was hyperesthesia as well...

I am curious as to why, you give him monthly flea treatments?
Some cats are very, very sensitive to flea treatments, especially, if they're over the counter kind.
They can cause neurologic symptoms, and even kidney failure!

One other thing, I thought of, has he ever had an x-ray done of his spine?
A bad injury at one time, could have caused lasting damage to nerves, that causes him to have intense pain, when that particular point is touched/activated, which would also cause him to react violently, I would think (?)

Bless you for not wanting to put him to sleep, because of this.
Wishing you all, the best!

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page