How can you tell if tiny stray kitten is weaned? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Question How can you tell if tiny stray kitten is weaned?

About three years ago now I got a stray male cat from the place I work out of a trash can this little fellow as done great! Now fast forward to today. I got to work this morning and decided to work down back of the shop and what do I find? A kitten!

I caught him and his eyes were matted shut...I cleaned up his eyes and he can at least see...I have no idea how old this little fellow is or if he is even weaned...I did get him to eat some wet food when I first got him home and he has been munching on dry food occasionally this afternoon...

I just don't know why these little guys keep falling in my lap...People at work are calling me the Cat Whisperer now cause no one else could get their hands on him...My wife and I do not know if we are going to keep the kitten or not we have 3 other adult cats that are not to happy with the little one here..

I guess what I am asking folks here is how do I know if this little guy or gal is weaned? I would hate for it to starve to death...I caught pure heck with the last one 3 years ago but I got him through and he looks and is doing great.

Suggestions please.

I Love Black Cats! What, you don't?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Hmmmm..Guess no one knows....Oh well.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

Wow...a whole 2.5 hours went by without an answer. Patience is a virtue....

If it's crunching dry food, I'm assuming it has teeth which would mean it's more than 3-4 weeks old. If you google "kitten development" you will find plenty of pages that describe their progress week by week, which should help you figure out age. I would offer canned food, mix in some kitten formula to ensure it's getting plenty of calories.

You mention that your resident cats aren't too happy about this little one. Hopefully you have the kitten isolated and have not introduced him to your cats. You have no idea what diseases it can be carrying...anything from worms to FeLV or FIV. If you decide to keep it, a vet visit is needed asap for bloodwork, deworming and possibly vaccines (depending on how old he is). I would keep him isolated for at least 10 days to make sure no health issues are brewing. If you're not going to keep him, I wouldn't introduce the resident cats at all.

If you post a picture we can probably hazard a guess at age (and we'd get our kitten fix).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Sorry for the impatience on my part....It's just I found this little guy/gal Wednesday morning with its eyes crusted shut..I did manage to get the crust off and have been cleaning its eyes with saline every 2 hours and a warm water compress held to it's eyes for a few seconds....And no we have not kept him separated and I know thats not a smart thing to. I am carrying it to the vet tomorrow but I only have a limited amount of cash I can spend which may limit what they can do for the little guy/gal...

I have read that the problem with its maybe upper respiratory....It's just when you find a feral like this you never know.....I have not been able to get it to drink water though it did gulp down some KMR...I just feel guilty about it all even though its not my fault and some cruel person may have just put it in the side of the road to die!

The problem I have stems from the fact I don't know how long its been this way....It's symptoms are:

Puffy eyes
Clear discharge from corner of eyes.
Runny nose
And farts that will kill an elephant!

Last edited by marie73; 07-04-2018 at 03:54 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

One final note...The discharge from it's eyes have turned clear since I started the saline and warm compress. They were mucous looking up until today. Oh and occasional sneeze.

Last edited by Scat Man; 07-04-2018 at 02:38 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 07:51 AM
Premier Cat

Doodlebug has given you some excellent advice.....just be sure you wash you hands well after you've been touching your kitty and before you touch any of your cats... best to keep kitty isolated, and hope you will give us an update after you take kitty for a vet checkup. Than you for rescuing this little kitty, very kind of you.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page