Long time no chat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Long time no chat

Hey all, not sure how many people are still here from my my days here. I've been crazy busy going back to school and with a new job. Still have MowMow, Shepherd Book, and my little Neelix who still gets called 'the kitten' even though he's 4 years old now.

It's been an emotional and stressful weekend. MowMow was at the Emergency vet this weekend. He's 16 years now as far as the vet c an tell.

Today I got the results of MowMow's bloodtest and ultrasounds. He has some serious thickening of the lining in his bladder which coould either be cancer or a long term and severe bladder infection. As bladder cancer is not very common in cats (not unheard of, but not common) it's likely it's a severe and very long term infection. His blood test results of kidney function back up the diagnosis of bladder infection. His ultrasound also showed his left kidney is enlarged, also backing up the idea that he's got a major uti of bladder and kidney. The ultrasound did NOT show any issues in his intestional tract, spleen, or pancreas indicating that he actually does NOT have IBD as he was previously diagnosed and the vomiting/stomach upset has been a side effect of this long term (apparently YEARS) infection. So the fact that he's got no growths or tumors is a wonderful thing for a cat of his age. He's on a 6-8 week course of antibiotics, he's been taken off pepcid (that was he was prescribed for the ibd) and put on prilosec to help with the stomach acid caused by kidney backup, and I"ve been given an appetite stimulate for him if he goes on another hunger strike. I need to pick up some miralax tomorrow to encourage his bowels to keep moving (things are sluggish right now). So..... if I can keep him eating, get him to poop, and get him through the course of antibiotics we should be good. The good news is that he's feeling better and is more active (and unfortunately more vocal) that he has been in weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 10:21 PM
Premier Cat

Hi MowMow!

It's good to see you back, although I'm sorry to hear about MowMow's infection. Fingers crossed that the antibiotics will be able to kick it, even if it has been there for a long time. Famotidine never did anything for my girls. I used ranitidine with Celia but have heard that Prilosec is the big gun.

Just wanted to say that if the Miralax isn't enough to keep things moving, you might ask the vet about cisapride to help with gut motility. It worked well for Celia. The vet said she had a sluggish GI tract. It was compounded into chicken-flavor tablets, and she loved them.

All in all, it sounds like MowMow is in pretty good shape for a 16-year-old kitty, with health issues that are treatable.

I went through CKD with Celia, so I know the stress and worry of kitties that won't eat. I hope that between the antibiotic, Prilosec, and Miralax, MowMow will get his appetite back!

And I'm also glad to hear that Shepherd Book and Neelix (gah, 4 already?) are with you and hopefully doing well. That little Neelix...I usually have a terrible memory, but I'm pretty sure that he was the kitty who, during a vet visit, was kissing or licking the vet tech who was handling him? It was such an adorable image that I never forgot.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

LOL. Yes, Neelix is the nose licker. Even when he's not in the 'mood', if you ask for a kiss he licks your nose. He and Book are still besties and love spending their time cuddling. I've put up a 6' screen in my hallway and anchored it on both sides. This gives MowMow the back 2 bedrooms and BookNix the rest of the apartment. It keeps them from bugging the Mow.

MowMow is generally good with the pooping but he's been so slow to eat the past week that he hasn't gone in a few days and I was worried. I talked to the vet who suggested miralax and if it offered no relief in a few days then they'd have to do an enema. I"m just hoping it's because up until today he hasn't eaten much. I finally got a decent amount of cat food into him today. A full 5.5 oz can of food with about a cup of water added.

The one positive (as silly as it sounds), they shaved his little belly pooch for the ultrasound. I am THOROUGHLY enjoying his wrinkly, nekked, little belly pooch. It's the cutest thing ever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 11:15 PM
Premier Cat

Awww, kitty tummies are adorable, especially if they let you touch them. Margaux's was perpetually furless, because she was an overgroomer, and she'd roll onto her back and tilt her head like it was an invitation to play with it, but if I tried, she let me know that it was NOT an invitation.

So, you're in hope-for-poo mode...I hope it's just that there's been no output because there was so little input and that he doesn't need an enema. Not fun for them, and the aftermath is usually not too fun for the human either.

But it's great that he's eating! Maybe it means that the antibiotics are having an effect. It's really unfortunate that the infection wasn't caught earlier, but it has to be so hard for a vet to diagnose things when kitties have those symptoms that could indicate a zillion different conditions.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 04:28 PM
Cat Addict

HI, I remember Mow Mow and can't believe so much time has gone by that Neelix is 4. I wish Mow Mow a lot of success with his medicinal treatment and I know he has a great parent to take care of him.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 12:17 AM
Cat Addict

News about the Mow! Hope he's feeling better. One of my all-time favorite cats on this site. Any chance of a photo?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Update on MowMow

Greetings again. I finally got all the results back. The ultrasound showed a thickening of the bladder lining and one kidney enlarged. The blood test did show some kidney issues, but nothing significant. The cultured urine showed bacteria that is sensitive to amoxicillin. The vet says that the thickening in the bladder lining COULD indicate bladder cancer, but she believes that it and the enlarged kidney along with the blood tests results indicate a sever and ongoing bladder/kidney infection. The ulta sound ruled out any issues in in stomach, pancreas, and spleen. They don't think he ever had ibd as we were told by our other vet, they think his stomach acid issues were always caused by his kidney issues. He is on a six week dose of the amoxicillin and then we'll do another urine pull to be sure the infection is cleared up and possibly an ultrasound to be sure the bladder lining has thinned.

We discussed his issues gaining weight and the vet suggest that at his age I stop obsessing about his cat food and the no by product, no fish, human grade food. To see if we can get him back on track just let him eat what he wants as long as it doesnt aggravate his allergies. Up until last week I was happy if I could con him into eating 150 calories, this week hes sucking down 500 calories of classic fancy feast and begging me for more. He's put on a full lb of weight in just a week and is happier and more active than hes been in months. He still suffers from arthritis, but he's doing great as long as he gets his supplements for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1534726501667.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	123314  

Name:	FB_IMG_1534726476660.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	123316  

Name:	FB_IMG_1534726445166.jpg
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	123318  

Name:	FB_IMG_1534726431611.jpg
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	123320  

Name:	FB_IMG_1534726413336.jpg
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	123322  

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I attached photos to my last post, but it dropped then when it published it. I'll futz with it and see if I can get them up.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

Pictures are great! Hope MowMow gets better SOON.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 06:46 AM
Cat Addict

So good to see Mow! Love those two face-on shots of him snoozing. That's the Mow I remember.
Fancy Feast! Loved by cats everywhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page