kitten smells like urine - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

kitten smells like urine

We adopted a almost 6 month old kitten. She is sspayed, upto to date on all thing, add just had a vet visit to make sure she was fine. Everything iss fine.

She smells like urine though, all the time. She isn't peeing anywhere around the house but the more she is out and exploring the more the house starts to smell like pee. She was spayed back in July if that matters.

She is using the littlebox and eating. she does drink A TON of water.

She is in a room by herself most of the day as we are sstill trying to get our old cat and her on good terms.

Is this normal? Last two cats we had were 9/10 months old when we got them and neither of them were like this. I assume it is some young kitten thing that we just don't know about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 06:08 PM
Cool Cat

How annoying! Personally, since you see that she is using the litter box I would be suspicious of the older cat perhaps marking territory.

It is interesting that she drinks so much. I've never known a cat to do that.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 07:42 PM
Premier Cat

Where exactly is the pee smell? Give her a good sniff all over. If it's just her hind quarters, maybe she's just dribbling pee on herself, and then spreading the smell as she moves around. If so, a little bath, and/or some kitty wipes, and then cleaning the floors, might just do the trick. And then you can ask the vet for a sanitary trim, which might help to keep the pee out of the fur on her haunches.

However, if her fur smells like pee all over, I would call the vet and tell them about that and the excessive thirst. And when I say call the vet, I mean asap.

Kitties smelling strongly of pee, if it's not just that they've peed on themselves, is not normal. I'd be worried.

If she stops eating or becomes weak, that is potentially very urgent.

At the last vet visit, did they do bloodwork by any chance, or just an exam?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 04:39 PM
Premier Cat

zenuke,

Just wanted to see how your kitten is doing. I'm hoping that it's not a kidney issue and that you have good news.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page