My senior cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

My senior cat

Hello,

my senior cat isn't doing so well. Shes 15ish? and has a bloody tumor on her cheek. the vet wont help her out.She just says to keep it clean and wait it out. my cat has a soft cone on her so she cant scratch it. ive been cleaning it with baby wipes and spraying Vetceryn on it. Sometimes I would put triple antibiotic on the wound . cat's ear is also gross..ive been cleaning her ear too. I don't know what else to do for her.

My cat is also loosing weight. so I feed her lunch dinner and bed time snack all canned food. the bed time snack is kitten food for the extra protein.

any way to help her out with that tumor?

Please do not suggest a new vet. my mom wont switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 09:26 PM
Jr. Cat

Something doesnít seem right that your vet declined to treat your senior cat. You have a responsibility to do what is in the best interest of your cat. OMG! Please take your girl to another vet. Are you the owner or your mom? Do the right thing. Iím sure she is in pain.

Don't be to critical of a mistake. It is evidence that at least
someone tried to do something.
Become better than you used to be, not better than someone else.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 10:08 PM
Premier Cat

Oh my. Did you mention these other symptoms to the vet (the ear, the weight loss)?

When you say tumor, has this been confirmed to be a tumor? If so, what kind?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Yes...my vet knows about the weight loss and her ear. She saw her a few week ago. All the vet said to us is its her quality of life and to wait it out.

She confirmed it was a tumor and that she cant help. she didn't say what kind though. But from watching Dr.Pol and other vet shows...im guessing its a blood vessel tumor. that's all it does is bleeds and its raw. (yuck). So she wears a soft cone to keep it clean and to keep her from scratching it.

Since its on her cheek...its very hard to wrap her face to put a guaze pad with a medication on it. I use vet wrap to hold it in place...but it doesn't stay . I don't know what else to do for her.

Last edited by marie73; 09-23-2018 at 11:45 PM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 07:49 PM
Premier Cat

I think you need to find out what the vet means when she says to "wait it out." What are you supposed to be waiting for? Improvement? If so, what kind? I've never heard of a tumor healing on its own, so if she's suggesting that it's going to get better, then it seems like the tumor isn't cancerous? Or is she waiting for your kitty to suddenly worsen so that you'll have to make that awful decision?

Regardless, since the vet mentioned quality of life, and the lack of appetite could be due to pain, as lcordaro mentioned above, there's really no reason for her not to prescribe a pain med. And if she's thinking that your kitty is nearing the end, that's just all the more reason for her to do everything possible to keep kitty comfortable. Ask the vet for buprenorphine; it's more effective than gabapentin. If she will only give you meloxicam, just be aware of the potential risks and insist on a really, really low dose.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 07:46 AM
Kitten

Your cat is in so much pain. Your vet is not helping you out. You need to switch a vet and get proper treatment of your cat.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 08:09 AM
Jr. Cat

Get her seen today by a new veterinarian. Just do it. Also if she has an infection in her ear she could lose her hearing. This has gone far to long for her to be in this condition.

Larry

Don't be to critical of a mistake. It is evidence that at least
someone tried to do something.
Become better than you used to be, not better than someone else.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Well now my senior cat wont eat her food. Im feeding her canned kitten food for lunch and bed time snack. she gets adult canned at dinner time.. Shes just loosing so much weight.

Her tumor is looking more gross each day. If I could post a picture then you can see how it looks. but I don't know how to post a picture.

I got her another soft cone from chewy because her current one is looking gross. I also got her some herbal healing salve from chewy. something to help heal that tumor.

my mom said I should start thinking about when its time to say bye to our cat. We rescued her from outside July of 2013. so we've had her for a long time.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 03:40 AM
Premier Cat

I'm not really sure what you're asking, but to be blunt:

It's now been 10 days since you first posted, and nothing has changed.

If you really want to help your kitty, it won't be by posting a picture of her tumor. I'm pretty sure that we will all just repeat what we've already said...

It seems like your mother has already decided your kitty's fate by not allowing you to see another vet and by telling you that you should start thinking about saying goodbye.

If you feel that it isn't your kitty's time, then *you* have to be willing to be her advocate and to take action; you're not going to get help from your mom.

And if you're not willing to push to get your kitty the help she needs, then please let her go.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 01:31 PM
Cat Addict

I don't know the age of the poster but it could be a minor and the mom has control. To me, with no treatment, it sounds like it is time to put the cat out of misery and pay to get it euthanized humanely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page