Safe pain killers? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Safe pain killers?

My cat hurt her tail. I am bringing her in today but I know there are some troublesome pain killers like metacam and corbenia shot. Doubt I spelled that right. What is a safe pain killers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

When Cali's leg was amputated, I was sent home with Buprenorphine for her pain relief.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 05:56 PM
Banned

You're right about "Metacam"...."Loxicom" is the same. These are NSAIDs, like aspirin and Tylenol, Advil etc. The animal NSAIDs must be dosed extremely carefully, something I wouldn't trust to the average American Vet treating a cat.

Buprenorphine is perfectly safe and giving it is as easy as puttong a few drops just inside the cat's lip - swallowing makes it ineffective.

I believe you meant "Convenia" - that is an antibiotic....unless there is infection, there's no need for it. It is injectible. Convenia and Metacam/other NSAIDs should never be used at the same time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Well they gave her Convenia shot and Torbutrol for pain. There was pus at the site. It is really hard to deal with the vets. They have their ideas and then quote safety. Anyway I am about to post again about her situation now.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 03:47 AM
Premier Cat

Hm, I wasn't familiar with Torbutrol, but it's an opioid like buprenorphine and seems to be just as safe.

According to one study, bup was more effective at post-op pain control for a specific type of surgery:

"Butorphanol should not be used alone for management of postsurgical pain in cats undergoing ovariohysterectomy. Buprenorphine given before surgery and during wound closure is preferred to provide appropriate pain control."
Journal Scan: Butorphanol vs. buprenorphine for postop pain control in cats

Another study showed Torbutrol was more effective as a pre-op sedative:
"At these doses, IM buprenorphine–dexmedetomidine provides inferior sedation and a higher incidence of vomiting than butorphanol–dexmedetomidine in cats. Butorphanol–dexmedetomidine may be preferred for feline sedation."
SAGE Journals: Your gateway to world-class journal research

Were you prescribed Torbutrol to give at home?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

The vet told me that she uses Butorphanol after surgery and Torbutrol for short periods like this. I already weaned her off it. I just get nervous now about meds because I have read the stories of the cats who have had some issues. I keep notes though and all this will go into them for the future. All I know is vets have gotten really expensive!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 03:03 PM
Premier Cat

How's her tail doing now?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

She is fine now and hair starting to grow in. She had a little set back when a friend let her out of the house with the cone on her head and by time I got her in the scab on her tail had come off. I see now that my other male cat has a nail stick on his neck. I truly suspect that although they go outside, they are not fighters and run in when there is anything outside. I think they do this to each other and it is tiring to make sure that have their own space.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page