Question on Prazosin - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Question on Prazosin

My kitty was diagnosed with FLUTD/FIC with struvite crystals about 3 weeks ago. He was in the hospital and catherized for 3 days and is now home. He has been on prazosin and buprex twice daily and also receives adaquan injections.

I have been working with the medical teams from both the hosptail and my primary vet so I understand a lot of the nuiances of this issue. We saw our primary vet today and she wants me to start weaning my kitty off of the buprex but when I asked about taking him off the prazosin she basically said it was "trial and error" and suggested I take him off the prazosin first then work on weaning him off the buprex.

My question is has anyone given their kitty prazosin? And if so, did you wean your kitty off of the medication or did you stop giving it to them "cold turkey"? I tried doing some research online but did not find any answers to this question. I'm thinking of weaning him off the medication for about 3-4 days before I stop giving it to him completely but I would like some insight from anyone who has had experience with this medication in the past.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 12:43 AM
Premier Cat

Hi faeriedragon,

I haven't used prazosin, but whether or not you should wean your kitty off it is probably something you should ask the vet. I'd imagine, though, that the vet would have mentioned it if it's a drug that needs to be stepped down.

Buprex is buprenorphine? Just curious about how you'll wean kitty off it. Will you space out the doses? I gave it to my kitty until I had to let her go so never had the issue, but it was given in pre-filled syringes, so I don't know how I would have weaned her off.

Is the Adequan also for FLUTD or for arthritis?

Hope your little guy is feeling better soon!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Prazosin is to help with relaxing the urethra. I've read it has been used to control blood pressure in humans so I decided to wean him off (down to 1 pill a day in the morning and then we'll go from there).

Buprex is buprenorphine. What my vet suggested is when my kitty is completely off of prazosin, I'll start giving buprex once a day and then every other day. It's a tricky thing because if he's still having pain he'll start to pee outside the litterbox again. Hence the reason why I'm not taking him off both meds at the same time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page