Outside cat on Frontline still nipping - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Outside cat on Frontline still nipping

I've been taking care of an ear-tipped feral male cat. He's become very people-friendly and I've been putting Frontline on him every 4 weeks since July. He still is constantly nipping at himself. I took a flea comb through him and didn't find any fleas or flea dirt but he has little scabs all over him. These are what must be bothering him, but what could they be coming from if he has no fleas? Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 01:41 AM
Premier Cat

Maybe they're just residual scabs from fleas that he had earlier and once they fall off, he'll stop? Is he causing any bleeding or irritation by licking at them?

How great that he's gotten friendly enough that you can get a flea med on him! That can be hard even with totally domesticated, indoor kitties!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

No bleeding that I've seen. I'll keep an eye on him and continue the Frontline through the colder weather.

We've been able to coax him into our garage through a cat door we've installed. There are kitty beds and food for him to stay warm and dry whenever he wants.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

I just got a look at the inside of his back legs and he has them raw. Next Frontline is scheduled for November 12.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 04:33 PM
Premier Cat

Aw, poor little guy.

It sounds like an allergy - either to fleas, something in his food, something in the environment, or maybe even the Frontline?

Chicken, fish, and grains are common culprits for foods. Maybe you could see if a different food resolves the issue, or consider switching to Advantage or Revolution.

Can you tell if he's licked himself raw anywhere else? If there's any broken skin, do you think you could get him into a carrier for a vet visit?

He's a lucky kitty to have found someone who cares about him!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 10:29 PM
Cat Addict

For what it's worth, I never found that Frontline worked very well on fleas. Advantage works better. Though you say he doesn't have fleas. It does sound like a skin issue or allergy.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

He eats both Purina dry and various canned foods. I don't know where to start in trying to feed him a special diet. Because of the cost, I don't want to waste that on the birds! lol
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 08:00 AM
Premier Cat

Hi Sharkrow!
After going through this very familiar sounding skin issue with an outside cat that adopted us, it really does sound like an allergy issue to the food he's eating!

I finally found a more affordable, but still, good dry food.
It's called Whole Earth, Grain Free, Turkey and Duck formula.
Now after almost three months, the weird little scabs are going away, and his whole coat of fur, is feeling so much better!

I had taken him to the vet's first, to see if he had a parasite or fungal thing going on...he didn't, so I figured it had to be diet related!

When it comes to diet changes, you have to be patient, as it can take up to three months, to see positive results, with the new diet, if you're on the right track, you should know!

Grains are the worst offenders for allergies, followed by fish based, chicken based, can be even beef based...
Cats are like people, some can it some things, while others can't!
Good Luck! Thanks for taking care of him!

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 08:05 AM
Premier Cat

A quick add on! Stop the Frontline! Give him a break with that stuff, it could very well be adding to his skin issues! Cats have sensitive skin, and unfortunately, he may well have developed a hypersensitivity to that stuff!

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

I did put some Purina Sensitive Skin and Stomach out for him but he turned away from it. I will look for the Whole Earth food. Thank you all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page