Broken purr? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Question Broken purr?

Hi there, I've just joined the forum. I live with a seven month old black & white short haired domestic cat. Walter came to live with me at ten weeks of age, had been mistreated by his first family who had him for just two weeks. He's been a 'scaredy cat' almost all the time he's been here. But, suddenly he found the courage to go upstairs and explore the block of flats in which we live. He was going to be an indoor cat but now I think he will need the freedom that going outside will provide him.
Walter is unlike any I've ever had before. Firstly, he's a boy, secondly, he's not at all cuddly, and lastly (for now) he doesn't really purr. His purr sounds crackly and broken. He's been to the vet who pronounced him fit so there's nothing physically wrong.
Someone just told me his type is known as a 'tuxedo' cat: I can see why as he has the right penguin-style markings.
So, what I'd like is advice on how to get him to be friendlier toward me, and his purr, will it ever sound like a proper purr should?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 11:41 PM
Cat Addict

Be patient, kind and quiet. Talk to him in a soft voice. Give him treats. Praise him. Play with him with some simple toy that he likes, like a ribbon tied to a yardstick. At age 7 months cats are very active and he might not enjoy petting all that much, but that can change.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks for the positive advice. We'll just see how it gows for now then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 09:04 AM
Cat

My latest guy Charlie is similar. I think he's the 'poster child' for the image of aloof cats.
Doesn't like being stroked (will slink).
Reacts to sudden noises. Strikes the 'halloween' cat pose for no apparent reason. A little too bitey (but not hard).
When placed on my lap acts like he got put on a hot plate.
But after over a year he lets me pick him up, he lays next to me and enjoys his chin scratched and head stroked. He lets me cut his nails (a BIG one).
He was an orphan who had to survive on the street. What hardships he had to endure to get to me I will never know (if only they could talk human...or maybe it is better we don't know). What I DO know is he is who is and I put no expectations on him. I give him affection and attention and what he does with it is up to him. He's a good boy so he sure deserves it. So do play with him a lot (20 minutes AM & PM)- it is a great way to bond and they will associate interactions with us positively. Use his name a lot in a sing-song way. Use "good boy" with treats. Is he fixed? That's imperative especially if you're going to let him out.
As for the purr, if you read about it you'll find this is not unusual.

Love,patience, time. A formula that works. Good Luck!

4ever in my Heart
Dizzy my PookieMoose
June 2003- August 26 2017

Last edited by DizzysDad; 11-04-2018 at 09:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page