Cat constipation - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Cat constipation

I'm new to forums so I may not be doing this correctly. I have an older cat, a stray I've rescued from my yard. I'm not sure how old he is but he is over 10 years old, at least. He's had a checkup at the vet and has been diagnosed with kidney problems and feline immunodeficiency. So as you can see this guys got some problems. He has developed constipation as a result of his kidney issues. The vet has him on Lactulose and Cisapride 1.5 ML of each twice a day. Six months ago he wound up at the local pet emergency clinic over the weekend because he was impacted. Much money later he was back home. Two days ago impacted again,on Friday,visions of the emergency clinic looming. Three enemas later, with no results, I got the quality of life speech from the vet. I don't want to put Lynx down, so I took him home. Hallelujah, he promptly went downstairs and took care of business. Probably just didn't like the surroundings at the Vets. However....today's Saturday and after being gone all day, I sifted the litter box looking and hoping for a BM. Nothing. I'm getting concerned. I guess my question is- I need a workable solution to this problem. The vet has told me that eventually the Lactulose and Cisapride will stop working. Has anyone had any luck with Lax ese? The reviews are glowing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 09:50 AM
Cat

Hiya,

https://feline-nutrition.org/health/...p-for-your-cat

This is a link about how pumkin puree can be good for constipated kitties..
Worth a try ..
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 05:41 PM
Premier Cat

Are you feeding him dry kibble or canned food? With dry kibble cats usually don't get enough water in their diet. Even on canned food, if he is constipated, as well as a teaspoon of pure pumpkin puree the addition of some water, start with a teaspoon, see if that will give him some relief. You want to avoid his stool to be very dried out as little hard balls, as this could lead to impaction in the colon which could result in megacolon, where he will be unable to poop on his own at all, and then he would need to have enemas every day. I hope this is not happening with your cat. All the best!

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

No, he doesn't have Mega colon. I don't give him dry food but we have three cats. He may get a little. He went to the E Hospital yesterday morning. I'm giving him a Lax tone three large dollops which he eats. Ive been mixing Miralax in his food about a teaspoon. Also a bulk fiber product in his wet food. His X rays showed stool which appears soft. He had an enema. It's just not moving. He also gets plenty of fresh water.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

This morning he has stopped eating. I'm not optimistic.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 09:22 AM
Banned

Hi Hopsteiner.

Is Cisapride still 'in the mix'.......translation, when did he last have Cisapride ?

And, exactly what is this "bulk fiber product"? (I'm not about to diagnose, but...this is [perhaps highly] suspect to me.)

From experience, I know that this issue can be exasperating - my intention isn't to add to your frustration, though.

If you have time, here's a treatise on constipation in 'kidney cats' (a most reliable source): Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Constipation (and, if you scroll down to the end of that page, you'll see she's no fan of hairball grease in treating constipation).
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 09:36 AM
Banned

I should have addressed the 'not eating' issue......to wit: when was his last bowel movement ?

I wouldn't expect a bloated cat (a cat with a colon full of stool) to have any interest in food.

Also.....what exactly do you man by "gets" here: "He also gets plenty of fresh water"? Do you mean "he drinks pleanty" - or, you give pleanty ?

Have you been told at any point that he's dehydrated? Was his hydration even assessed? Were you ever advised about his hydration status? Do you know how to assess a cat's hydration status?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page