Healthy Size/Weight - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Healthy Size/Weight

Hi!

I have a beautiful grey tabby, nearly 2 years old and roughly 10lbs, vet said he's the perfect weight for his build and is very healthy, so I've been going off his general build for how my younger male (roughly 7 months) should look. Seamus, the younger, is already the same size as Neville, the older, and I estimated when I got him that he'd be much bigger than Neville, since at 9 weeks he was nearly twice the size Neville was at the same age. However, I've been noticing that he's getting a little.... tubby. He's always been just slightly on the tubby side, as kittens seem to be at a young age, and the vet said he was healthy and a good size. I haven't been to the vet again yet (money has been a bit tight since the start of school, but I'm hoping to get him in in a couple weeks).

Seamus seems perfectly healthy. He's been growing nicely, eats and drinks regularly, and he's very active, often playing with my mom's puppy and racing around the house with Neville at night. He takes frequent naps during the day, usually with Neville, then immediately either wants attention or to play upon waking up. He's a wonderful cat, very playful and full of love. I'm a little concerned about his weight, though. It seems he's on his way to being overweight, if he isn't already, and I'm not quite sure what to do about it. Both cats are on kibble (they were on raw, however, I decided to switch them to kibble while they're still young as I plan to move abroad and take them with me, and raw could be an unreliable food source). They're both free fed and share a large bowl. I feed them Performatrin Ultra, it's grain and gluten free. They sometimes get fish (sardines, usually) and bits of raw food (Seamus usually licks the spoon right after the dogs' food is scooped).

Both cats have the exact same diet, and Seamus is actually more active than Neville. Is it possible that he just has a slow metabolism, or could there be something wrong health wise? I'm aiming to get him in for a check up as soon as possible, but any advice for now would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 09:49 PM
Premier Cat

Hi there,

I imagine that kitties' metabolisms would differ, just like humans' metabolisms do. A friend had two kitties, brothers, same size, about the same activity level, and although they ate the same amount of the same food, one gained weight more quickly than the other.

But if you're free-feeding, and they're sharing a bowl, it's probably impossible to tell how much Seamus is eating? Maybe he's just eating more than Neville.

Could I ask why you switched them from raw to dry, rather than to wet food? Changing to wet food would help to slim him down (as well as being overall better for both guys). If you stick with dry, though, scheduled feedings, with separate bowls for each, would allow you to get a sense of whether Seamus is just eating too much. If he is, then you save yourself a vet visit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page