Help for cat with constipation? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Help for cat with constipation?

Hello my cat Joey is about 7 years old a little chubby at 17-18 pounds.
About 2 years ago he was not feeling well so we took him to the vet and spent 700 for them to tell us he was just constipated. They put him on 3 mils of lactulose per day to soften his stool. He was ok for a while then it happened again and they upped his dose to 5 mils per day.
Last week it happened again. Eventually he was able to go on his own(we gave him a little extra lactulose).

Yesterday he woke up ate, went to the bathroom(his stools were small and hard) then laid down. Since then he wont get up at all except to pee and he wouldnt eat for the rest of the day. Today is the same. He ate a couple spoon fulls this morning and I had to take him out of his bed and put the food in front of him. This cat never misses a meal, he lives to eat!

When he gets like this his stools are usually large and round. This time was the same but he had some small ones but they were very hard.
He only eats blue buffalo wet food and I even add a bit of water to it plus he gets that lactulose 3 times a day.
I already lost one cat this year, spent way over 1000 and never even got a diagnosis so before the vet takes all of my money can anyone offer any advice or suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 04:02 PM
Premier Cat

Have you tried adding a teaspoon of canned pumpkin puree (not the pie filling with added sugar)? It has good fiber which is helpful to avoid constipation. I think the addition of the water is good too. I haven't had to use lactulose whenever one of my cats got constipated. You should very gradually decrease the quantity of food you are feeding him to get his weight down. Hope this will be helpful for Joey.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 10:01 PM
Kitten

Try Miralax

My Rupert has had constipation problems for years. A few years ago it was so bad he had many enamas and vet discussed having surgery to take out most of colon as she suspected mega colon. They had been treating him for 2 years and we did lactulose, wet food pumpkin etc. I did my own research before considering surgery as that was no guarantee. Came across info on Miralax and thought well worth a try.....worked wonders!! Lactulose loses it effectiveness over time and is just a sticky mess. Plain pumpkin can also help as suggested but 1/8-1/4 tsp of Miralax mixed into wet for with a little extra water may be the answer.i gave it to Rupert once a day , it took 3-4 days to work and he passed the last of the hard round stools, one which was very large and then came the soft poop but at least he was cleaned out! You can adjust dose up or down daily, every other after you see how it is working for you. That was 7 years ago and now he gets it maybe 1 or 2 X a week, sometimes less. But wet food is a must for cats with constipation, some kibble can be given but very little. He gets maybe 8 before bed. Some say add fiber to diet, but that can sometimes hurt, mine was less fiber, so don't use any fiber suppliment to add bulk. Pumpkin can be used for both so not bad, but Miralax is fairly cheap and I use so little it last a long time. Hope maybe this will help , I know how heartbreaking it is and then have never been so excited to see a good (even sloppy) poop! Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks for the responses. I tried giving him pumpkin but he didnt like it. Maybe I will get some to mix in his food.
As for the mirilax I believe this is what the vet first suggested before switching us to lactulose.

@KRZ...Are you saying it loses effectiveness due to being old, sitting around too long or because the cat becomes immune to it? They do give us a large bottle which lasts a couple months or so so Im wondering now if this is too long.

Also this is my problem with the vets..you say they suspect he had mega colon. They can never give you a straight answer. They should be able to say either yes he has it or no he dont have it.

I mean is there a specific type of test to check for mega colon or to check his intestines. When I called them to ask the next step shes like oh well maybe we can do an xray when I already spent 300 bucks on an xray.

Anyway Joey seems better this morning. He finally got out of his bed and started moving around. He ate this morning. He drank a lot of water which he never drinks water but he has not gone to the bathroom. Usually when hes constipated he keeps going back to the litter box and he does a lot of pushing but he has not even been to the box at all. Im going to take him just for an anal gland expression and see what the vet has to say from there.

Last edited by marie73; 11-17-2018 at 10:28 AM. Reason: language
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 02:38 PM
Kitten

Glad to hear he is doing a little better. Have you seen him pee? Just to make sure it is not a blockage problem. My research was that after a cat has been on lactulose for a long time, their system just gets used to it and it does not work as well. Seems fine for short duration. I too got a large bottle but over time I had to keep giving higher dosage and it was not working as well. If they did an ex ray, did it show that his colon was full? We never really had a mega colon diagnosis for sure , the colon was packed full, but they were ready to do surgery to remove 85% of it.....now I research everything and not just take vets work. Now that we can say it and laugh my husband said we spent $700.00 to find out that Rupert was constipated!! But it was very worrisome when we were going through it. The Miralax was a life saver if you ask me and my vet knew nothing about it and now suggests for constipation. You can mix the pumpkin into wet food or baby food, some cats like the taste but mine did not. I still buy pumpkin and use a tablespoon to put servings onto a cookie sheet and then freeze, after frozen put into a zip lock and you have it whenever you think you need it. But Miralax keeps the stool soft as it draws liquid into colon, that's why you have to adjust , too soft, too hard, more or less, so easy. Just get regular Miralax not additives, Walmart brand is fine also. I used to work for chiropractor and as a last resort one really bad episode , he had me bring Rupert in and he worked on him to relax him and muscle massage! I took him home and 2 hours later he pooped days worth!! We then began to massage his back and belly gently in a move down the colon motion! Let me know what the vet says.

Last edited by marie73; 11-17-2018 at 04:14 PM. Reason: language
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Well the vet was completely useless as expected. I took him to my normal vet where I already spent over 700 dollars. They took him in the back for a couple minutes then come out and tell me he has a bad urinary blockage and I should take him to the emergency room. I explained to them that he had just peed the day before and he drank alot of water right before I brang them but they insisted he had a blockage and I take him to the Er.

I took him home to see if he would pee and after an hour I took him to another vet. They told me there is no urinary blockage and he doesnt seem constipated but he was a little warm so they gave him a shot of antibiotics and some stuff to help him poop. Now hes back to just laying in his bed and still has not used the litter box.

Idk what to do anymore. I cant trust any of the vets in my area, its a complete joke. I think they just go in the back and google some crap and thats what they tell us.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 06:28 PM
Kitten

Yes, it can be so frustrating to get different diagnosis , at least it was not a urinary blockage and hopefully the antibiotic shot might make him feel better. The meds to make him poop is it Pulpucid (?). We have used that and it works well but first one might be a tough one to pass if it has been backed up. Let him rest and maybe you can entice him with some baby food, cooked chicken breast or tuna water juice. I truly hope you give the Miralax a try. Keep us informed and sure hope he feels better in the morning!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 04:06 AM
Jr. Cat

I had 2 cats (one passed recently)... one loved canned pumpkin and ate it as a treat, the other hated it!

You might also try pureed sweet potatoes or bananas. I find that the Heinz organic Stage 1 baby food works out well and doesn't have any other ingredients. I haven't tried the bananas myself, but they worked well for a dog that's no longer with me.

Any of the pureed baby food meat might help, too.

Another option is unflavored Greek yogurt. Both of my cats would eat that like a treat

FWIW, I'm pretty wary of my local vets, too, and use them as an absolute last resort. I had one to diagnose my dog with ehrlychiosis (sp?) and took me for about $3,000. Then one Sunday I thought she was dying and rushed her to a different vet... he looked at her for one second and said, "oh, that's just a uterine infection, she should have just been spayed".

I complained to the original vet, and still haven't had an apology or any type of refund.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

The meds they gave him his was a shot of Convenia for his possible fever/uti and they gave us Cisapride to help him poop.
He is still not moving around. Hes eating very little. He has not even step foot in the litter box.

What could even cause him to have a urinary blockage and be constipated at the same time?
I would think he would at least do one or the other!

Last edited by marie73; 11-18-2018 at 07:14 PM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 04:18 PM
Jr. Cat

It's possible that he has a urinary blockage that hurts when he strains, so he's intentionally not pooping because it hurts.

The vets should be able to tell whether he has feces in his colon, though. If not then the problem is digestive.

Did they do bloodwork to test the levels of urea in his blood?

You mentioned before that he had had small, very hard stool. This may be relevant:

Why could my constipated cat need surgery?
Extreme or terminal constipation is called obstipation. A cat with obstipation is suffering and has a miserable quality of life. The colon is so stretched by large, rock-hard stools, that it is incapable of expelling them. The muscles of the colon become unable to do their job. In those cases, medications, diet changes and enemas become useless. The goal of surgery (called a colectomy) is to remove the diseased, giant colon. Usually performed by a board-certified surgeon, this delicate surgery can be a life-saving procedure. Quality of life is typically excellent after surgery.

https://www.pethealthnetwork.com/cat...s-never-normal

That page also mentions the possibility of an untreated bone fracture (maybe an old one) that could be making it hurt for him to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page