dry cat food absorbs water - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

dry cat food absorbs water

Anyone notice that dry cat food absorbs water? As in, very hygroscopic. I add a new handful to the bowl as it gets low, and by the end of the week, the uneaten stuff at the bottom is soft. To the extent that crunchy cat food is beneficial to teeth (though I've seen that point dismissed), this might not be good. Also, moist dry cat food is probably a breeding ground for bacteria. Comments?

Now, that being said, it doesn't take much to dry it out again. A bit of microwaving, or sitting in a warm oven for a while.

Last edited by Doug24; 11-17-2018 at 11:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 03:46 AM
Jr. Cat

I've used Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul dry food for at least 12 or 13 years, and have not experienced this. I've always just kept the bowl full so that they could eat at will, but it's never felt wet near the bottom like you described.

I'm not sure if it's a sign of the quality of the food, or perhaps the level of humidity in the air?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Well, this is just Purina One. Humidity is around 50%. Yes, the idea is just to keep the bowl full.

I didn't say the food ends up feeling wet. I said it ends up feeling soft. Gosh, I could use this stuff instead of Drierite!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 04:28 PM
Jr. Cat

Purina One gets a pretty low score on quality, so it could be the ingredients that are causing it to break down faster:

Purina ONE Cat Food Reviews

It's also worth noting that when I switched my dogs from Purina to Chicken Soup many years ago, I ended up saving money in the long run because the higher quality food made them eat less of it.

My Mojo (tabby cat) is 16 1/2 now, though, and needs a wet food diet. I've tried every kind I can find, and so far all he'll even consider eating is Purina One!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Yes, my recently departed Marty was raised mostly on Purina One, and he lived to be 20. In his later years, and my present cats now, get dry food in the morning, and a can in the evening. These reviews simply presume that meat protein is what is absolutely required for cats. My cats all have pretty much have proven that isn't so. Yes, cats evolved as carnivores, and humans pretty much did too. I have to assume the the people who do these reviews desperately keep to one of those ludicrous "paleo" diets, as a result.

Of course, you leave canned food out for a few weeks, and it'll get pretty rancid. The issue is not whether soft dry cat food is nutritious, but rather whether there are other effects on well-being.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page