Thoughts on a senior cat eating fish food - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thoughts on a senior cat eating fish food

I mentioned Mojo before... he's 16 1/2 and currently dealing with cystitis that could be cancerous... I'm not entirely sure.

He and his brother (recently passed) always shared a food bowl and litter box, so I've only recently been able to see how much food he actually eats, and the small amount was concerning. He seems to have plenty of energy, but I can pet him and count the vertebrae in his spine!

To fight the cystitis I'm trying to get him to eat soft food, and he'll eat about 1/4 of a can a day, then I have to toss the rest. I've boiled chicken tenders and rice for him and he'll eat the entire tenderloin (80-100 calories), but none of the rice and nothing else that day.

Two days ago, I discovered that when I feed my aquarium koi his "pond pellets", Mojo will gladly eat them right up! I dropped one and he snatched it, so I dropped a few more and he ate it right up, too. So tonight I dropped 10 of them in his food bowl, on top of his soft Purine One UTI food (the only kind he'll eat so far), and he ended up eating about 1/2 of the can!

I also have some fish food flakes that my koi won't eat, and I sprinkled some on top of the leftover rice that he ignores... he went after it like a treat.

So here's the question. If it will trick him in to eating food that's good for him, do you guys know of any reason that I shouldn't be giving him a small handful of fish food every day?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 07:50 AM
Cool Cat

Interesting question. My old cat was on a thyroid diet (as she was hyperthyroid) but she did not like that food and ate *very little*. She was losing weight, skin and bones, rough fur, which could have been partly the hyperthyroid but also lack of eating...

Once we had the bladder tumor diagnosis, we let her eat whatever she liked, as much as she wished. What was the point of leaving her hungry and sad when she was walking down the last path? She was not going to be cured, no matter what we fed her.

We took this idea from an old friend who'd had a terminal disease and was walking that last path - with a strictly controlled diet. He had been miserable, dreaming of milkshakes, cheese, and steak, all of which were denied him. So he had been buying a few extra sad days with dietary restrictions that made him sad. It just didn't make sense.

Your decision....... But I'd ask the doc. Maybe another check for those cancer cells...
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 07:57 AM
Premier Cat

Mojo is definitely in the sunset of his life, but some cats do live longer, my neighbor's tuxedo DSH lived to be just over 22 yrs. He was indoor/outdoor and tho she fed him dry food, he supplemented his diet with being a good hunter of mice, and other wild life as he was adjacent to a park.

Here's a good link on nutrition and you may find this helpful. All the best!

https://catinfo.org/#Cats%20Need%20t...er-Rich%20Food

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page