Older cat has urine on fur - don't know why - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Older cat has urine on fur - don't know why

Hi

I have an older cat who doesn't seem to have any obvious signs of bladder problems - she is not urinating in the wrong place, not leaking and so on. But the fur on her shoulders, flanks and chest is often damp and matted and it becomes very smelly. I've been bathing her but after a week it's just as bad. I don't understand how this is happening. How does she get pee on her chest? She sleeps on my bed a lot so if she was leaking or waking up in a puddle I'd know about it.

She is somewhat overweight but otherwise healthy - good appetite and energy etc. She's quite clingy though.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on? I'm a very long way from a vet and and it's hard to get there, so any advice would be welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 01:17 AM
Jr. Cat

Assuming that she doesn't go outside, and assuming that you don't have a sewer line backed up anywhere...

Possibly rolling around in her kitty litter? If you're not seeing wet spots anywhere else in the house then that would be the only source of urine. My Charlie used to do that sometimes when he was much younger, but only when I put out fresh litter with a scent.

As a test run, you might try switching over to a pellet system with pee mats. I changed to those last year and LOVE them! And if that's what she's doing then it would take away the source.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks cs! She does go outside though (I live in an area where this isn't a problem). The other cats use the litter tray but she doesn't. It's possible she's urinating outside and rolling in it for some reason I guess?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 05:26 PM
Jr. Cat

It's entirely possible... both of my dogs love to roll around in anything gross they can find, so I can only imagine a cat might, too.

My guess, though, is that it's not HER urine that she's rolling around in. You could have a male cat in the neighborhood that's marking his territory, and she's rolling around in that to pick up his pheromones.

You could also have some wild herb that she likes (like catnip) and is peeing on to mark as her territory, but then gets excited and rolls around in the herb without thinking about the urine on it. My Charlie would roll around like that whenever I brought in cat grass, and we used to laugh that he was romancing it first
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 03:35 PM
Premier Cat

Hi Padwen,

How old is your kitty (and what's her name)?

I don't wHave you noticed any other changes in her behavior? Is she drinking water and/or peeing more frequently than usual?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Hi Spirite

Not sure of her age because she's a rescued street cat, but probably around 8. Her name is Lily. She's a beautiful white girl with a couple of dark patches and a dark brown tail. I haven't noticed any other changes except she is very clingy in that she's often desperate to lie on my chest - which is sometimes hard when she's damp and smells of pee, but we snuggle anyway. She's always peed quite a lot. She had a test for diabetes a couple of years back but it came back negative.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 11:44 PM
Premier Cat

Hi Padwen,

Hm...I was wondering about the possibility of chronic kidney disease, because my Celia sometimes had the same issue - the fur around her head and chest would be wet and smell like pee. She had CKD, which eventually causes uremia - the kidneys can't excrete toxins properly anymore, so they build up in the body and cause a pee smell and/or they may have uremic breath. The vet thought that she was maybe grooming herself and spreading the smell from her breath.

But it wasn't possible that her fur would be *so* wet from grooming. Since she was managing to get her fur all wet, even all the way down her chest, when she was drinking water, I think that she probably always had a pee smell, but it just wasn't really noticeable unless her fur was wet. And it was amazingly hard to dry off this fur. It got matted and almost sticky.

If you think Lily's only about 8, that's quite young for CKD, although some kitties do develop it earlier after an acute kidney problem.

When did she last have a urinalysis done?

How is her appetite?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Hi Spirite

Thanks - that sounds exactly like Lily, right down to the sticky fur that doesn't clean and it being too wet to be from grooming. It's on her shoulders as well. I have a terrible sense of smell, so if I can smell it it must be bad!

She last had a urinalysis about a year ago. She had a problem with a small stone in her bladder that was causing issues, but that has entirely cleared up now. Ideally I'd take her now but it might be a few weeks until I can do that.

Her appetite is good - she's always eager for her meals. She has good energy too. She had a pretty tough life on the streets though - frequent litters and poor nutrition. She's missing a lot of teeth as a result and may have impaired health in other ways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page