cat scratching excessively - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Unhappy cat scratching excessively

Hi everyone,
I have joined to seek URGENT advice!
I have a 5 month old kitten who was a stray but I took her in at 12-16 weeks old.
She got very slight acne (tiny black dots) on her chin but I just thought they were from eating - (I'll get back to that in a moment) she then developed a eye problem, it swelled up and went very red. After bathing it, it went away after a week. She then got ear mites I got rid of them with coconut oil.
Now we are in a new apartment and she has been on the same food called 'Perfect Fit' since we got her but I'm wondering if she is allergic to it?

Around 10 days ago I noticed a red patch by her arm pit and she had been licking it. I checked again the next day but her fur was there and no licking, so thought no more of it. My boyfriend also noticed after napping her eyes were sticking together.
I'm very tactile with my kitten so I was shocked to see 4 days ago a red flesh wound under her chin, when I examined her further she had more. another one on the other side of her neck and the arm pit from before. (I should point out I have kept her a house cat for now until/if I get her spayed) Another day went by and she was scratching like crazy and licking excessively! Then I noticed her shaking her head, like she did with the ear mites, however its nothing like it was before, theres hardly anything in her ears. So I read up and saw posts linking her symptoms to allergies but she doesn't have diarrhoea and she has only throw up once since owning her, every other symptom she has but these symptoms are also very close to scabies.
So doing what I can at home I have thrown out the plastic dishes for ceramic, I gave her an oatmeal bath (fun), and used coconut oil on her wounds and ears and also given her a 5mg tablet of loratadine incase its food allergies. - The oatmeal bath as calmed her scratching some what but her grooming has massively increased!

With the back story up to date, does anyone know what could be the problem? The reason why I'm coming here first and not going straight to the vet is because I live in Greece and I am english they will smell 'easy money' a mile off and I want what is best for this little angel so I would like a good idea to what is going on before I get taken for a ride and my kitten suffers any further.
Thank you so much in advance for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 04:58 PM
Premier Cat

The black spots on the chin is likely "feline acne", but it sounds as if it is infected. You really should take your cat to the vet.

Here's a link on some skin conditions: https://pets.webmd.com/cats/ss/slide...oblems-in-cats

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 08:26 AM
Jr. Cat

You have to take her to the vet. It seems she has a lot of issues that need to be addressed. You need to have her spayed. Until then keep her inside or you will have a litter of babies soon enough and then you will have a deeper issue. Donít wait. Take her to the vet today. You are not going to be able to help her by yourself.

Don't be to critical of a mistake. It is evidence that at least
someone tried to do something.
Become better than you used to be, not better than someone else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page