Choosing a cat with tooth issues - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Choosing a cat with tooth issues

Hello!
So I'm currently searching for a cat to adopt, but I'm having some trouble so far. Every cat I've been interested in is always already adopted by the time I get into contact.Which is great for the cat, but a bit disappointing for me lol. Anyway, there are two I'm looking at now, but I'm waiting on a response regarding one, and the other one I've had contact with the foster family, but I have a major concern about him, although was initially really excited. I'm looking for a really large cat, young, but not a kitten. Like 6 months plus. And preferably really cuddly, outgoing and playful. This one fit the bill perfectly. However, after speaking with his foster, I found out that he has some major issues with his teeth. The vet who's seen him has said that eventually he'll need them all removed. That throws me a bit. I'm just not sure what quality of life he'll have, especially since the poor guy was found declawed too. Yikes. And I'm really not sure what this will mean financially, as I've never had this concern with a cat before. Any cat I get will be indoor, but the hope is also that the cat will catch whatever mice sometimes make it in. Right now he can do that, despite the missing claws, but I'm just not sure if it's possible with no teeth as well.
I'm just torn. Do I go through with adopting him, or keep looking? Any comments on the situation?
Thanks!

Last edited by marie73; 12-23-2018 at 10:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 05:19 PM
Premier Cat

Vet expenses are not cheap....it costs more money to get one of my cat's teeth cleaned than it does my own. My son who lives in WA state, his dog swallowed a toy and it got stuck in it's intestines that required surgery to remove....the bill was over $5,000+. I've heard of even higher prices for the same kind of surgery. I suggest that you find a cat that is healthy with no obvious problems. There are many rescue cats looking for a new home. Definitely look for one that is "cuddly, outgoing and playful". Let the cat choose you, and you will have a closer bond to it than if you choose one because you like a particular coat color or pattern. All the best and hope you find the cat of your dreams....let us know!

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page