Hello! Just had a vet checkup, need some advice. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Hello! Just had a vet checkup, need some advice.

Hello Everyone!

So I have three wonderful kitties. A domestic short-hair, and two Siamese mixes. Today we are talking about the domestic short-hair named Chai. We recently had an outside of litter box incident which of course had me worried (about the cant, not the floor hah). I will admit we haven't been the best with getting the cats their yearly checkups, and it's been about 4 years (last time there was an incident) since they have been there. I know, I know, they will be getting their checkups on a regular basis now that we have moved and are settled.

When we adopted Chai she was getting treated for a UTI. The first time she had an accident (about 4 years later), it had come back. Of course I assumed this was the same and brought her into the vet this morning. The vet confirmed that there is a very mild infection starting and got her on some antibiotics. The vet asked what I feed them and I replied with three different types of red meat, 5 different types of canned fish (just fish nothing else), and Nutripro powder (They only get meat in the AM, and for dinner they get meat, a tsp of fish, and a sprinkle of the powder). After hearing I have them on raw he suggested we do a blood test to make sure everything is okay (they are 8 next month). The test came back with a few high levels, but he said that would be due to the infection she is fighting. He was more worried about the CREA levels. She is currently sitting at 2.2, and he said we really need to get that down. He then proceeded to recommend a "prescription kidney focused" cat food from Hills. He said that raw food has too much protein in it and will cause serious kidney issues if I don't switch her to dry food. This was quite a shock to me as I figured I was feeding them good quality stuff! I then did some research and haven't found much linking raw food to kidney disease. What I found was quite the opposite. That although raw food has higher levels of protein than most kibbles, the higher liquid content helps their bodies process it more effectively.

This isn't the first time a vet has tried to sell me their "prescription food", but it is the first time a vet has told me it's doing my cat harm.

If anyone has any advise I would really appreciate it. He rambled off a bunch of nutrients that cats need and it looks like the Nutripro has it covered. Is there anything I should be adding, or removing from the diet to help get the CREA levels lower?

Thanks a bunch!

P.S. I've attached a pic if anyone is interested

I also know this should probably go in the health/nutrition forum, but it won't let me post there
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181031_155900.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	123808  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 10:00 PM
Kitten

I don't know why it won't let you post on the health/nutrition forum. I researched making my own food at one time and got tons of information from that forum. I don't think you said how old your cat is with the urinary problems. I have a 14 yr old cat with kidney disease and he has to be on prescription food. His kidneys would not be able to process that much protein. But it's still something you can ask about how people handle making their own food with less protein maybe and more fat like the canned food I give him.

See if you can get in touch with the moderator of this website and ask her why you can't post on that forum.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 05:21 PM
Premier Cat

You may find some answers in this link on cat nutrition.

https://catinfo.org/

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page