Hi I'm kim i have two cats - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Hi I'm kim i have two cats

Alfie is manecoone and having serious health problems.. I have a disability myself so my only option is to use the PDSA! I originally took alfie in as he got a little pop bellie & then a sudden dramatic loss of weight. Threw out this I had him back and forth to the vet & nothing was showing! I looked into his symptoms myself as after his visit to the vets where they shaved him to administer meds or take bloods the fur didn't grow back, also his tail used to be so beautiful like a foxs tail but it has got thinner & thinner & lost the stunning look of it! I then took him back to the vet & i mentioned diabeties, cushions disease & thyroid.. the vet told me not to listen to others but phoned me back a couple of hours later and said she thot i was rite re cushions disease with diabeties secondary to the cushions disease she said she had never seen it in a cat before! They started him on insulin straight away & the nurse tryed to shave him with clippers for myself to administer it.. I used to be a nurse so can give injections no problem but i wish id said u don't need to shave him.. she didn't put him up on the table she cornered him on the floor and shaved his shoulder blade then said these clippers r no use so went to get a second pair! She grazzed his skin seemed minor at the time! When I woke up the following day his skin had all broken down.. literally looked like blisters holes in the skin as if acid had been thrown on him! I took him straight back & they took him away and when returned said good&bad news. The good was diabeties under control whats rare but the wound was so bad they needed to operate cutting down his back and the sides i felt sick! In the morning i phoned & she said they cudnt operate as the skin wud need to stretch &wud'nt hold so they cleaned the wound up implied it must have been where I'd givin injections but 1 I wud'nt administer on shoulder blade 4a start plus the vet the night b4 admitted was clippers! On collecting him they said i needed to consider his quality of life but that was all fine b4 the wound due 2 clippers! Also the next day the vet said the diabities definately is not under control.. so confused how an animal needs insulin then none at all.. doesnt make sence. Since then this has spread over his body & i cant help but think there must have been somethin on the clippers! He has been eating drinking playing wantin out occasionally but I go with him dont let him out alone he was always an outdoor cat.. the vet said put him down straight away but i cud'nt giv up on him so easily! The wounds r really bad the lampshade the vet gave me helped but went pets at home they said take upto 10days 2get a better 1, was a mistake getting that.. these things r 4 emergency ud think they'd stalk them! At that point I thot i wil just get it anyway.. total disaster i went out 4 half hour he'd got it off & had licked the wound 2 double the size then it burst with him scratching also he managed to reach the wound at his back leg what he shud'nt have been able 2 do so made that alot worse! So the altetnative from pets at home is a terrible design.. Im literally scared 2 leave him alone.. his minds stil there as hes always had a great personality so back knockin things over etc... iv not had him back 2 vets as he went like a Ferrell cat plus I'm scared after wat happened he had no wounds prior 2 goin 2 vets so I'm hesitant to go back! Iv nursed him day & night.. they wanted him in4 a hole day of testing to definitively say he has cushions disease or not but there's no treatment so I thot im not lettin him suffer more wen there's no treatment! I also went pets at home for somethin like a sock to put in his foot so he cud'nt scratch but only had 4 dogs.. so I used a baby mit but had 2 tape it on but it causes more distress so took it off ! The hair is growing back at first wound but the other wounds r at different stages! I try to give him a break takin the lampshade off but he starts liking the wounds straight away! It's frustrating as wen got shade on he tryd clean his feet etc but wen off only the wound.. cats love to clean as u wil no.. I had anti biotics & pain relief from the vet.. just dont no wat 2 do moving forward.. If the shade was to come off will all his skin breakdown just with him giving himself a good bath? Also wen he goes to the toilet its like a person emptying there bladder.. & his stools r always runny with a very bad smell... I just want to try everythin 4 him.. I wud hav said his quality of life was fine considering but this has been goin on since october.. I wud appreciate any advice or to anyone practicing animal medicine to have a look at this.. due to my vet saying had never seen in a cat it may be somethin to research if this isn't a common problem.. many thanks

Last edited by marie73; 01-16-2019 at 11:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page