My cat is suffering from sever stomatitis caused by calicivirus - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

My cat is suffering from sever stomatitis caused by calicivirus

Hi! my name is Fae and I am from Morocco. I have Five cats.

i'm seeking advice on a wearisome situation.

Two of my cats yuri and gary have been suffering from stomatitis/gingivitis. they have been on and off antibiotics from different vets. i had no idea what it was or what to do. i have recently found a nice Veterinarian that really cares about animals well being and listens to us. she diagnosed them with calicivirus.

yuri's case is quite severe her full mouth is inflamed and swollen, she is very thin, she sleeps all day, dont tolerate the cats around her, i give her cooked chicken with broth. my new vet deemed full teeth extraction necessary. im fearing after the surgery her situation won't improve, im gonna feel so bad for getting her through such a drastic surgery with no recovery .

Pleaase help!!! im desperate

Last edited by marie73; 01-21-2019 at 08:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Sadly her surgery is scheduled for today*Sad*.... could you please share your similar experiences with this nasty disease and how did you overcome it ?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 01:40 PM
Premier Cat

Hi Fae,
I've had experience with Stomatitus in cats.
It is a terrible, painful disease that will cause a cat to completely stop eating from the pain in its mouth, the lesions/sores can spread to the throat, causing even more pain.

I had to have two cats finally put to sleep years ago from this evil thing.

I started reading everything I could find on this condition, I had made a promise to my first two, that I would take this heartbreaking situation, learn from it, and be better prepared, if I ever had another cat show up with this.

AND...I did...
This time I knew what had to be done, and I didn't hesitate...
Sweet Charlie went in for a Full Mouth Tooth Extraction (I didn't want to keep taking him back, for a few teeth at a time).
Cats will actually heal quicker with a FME, there's no abscesses left to create more nasties...
Charlies teeth were all removed, and it was amazing how little of each tooth was actually left.

Charlie had slowly been losing weight, and not wanting to eat with his usual gusto...

Two weeks after surgury, his mouth had already healed, his appetite was back with a vengeance, and he wanted to play again!

Charlie was on canned food, mixed into a soupy consistency for the first two weeks, but surprisingly, he was sneaking dry food very quickly!

Fae, it sounds like you found a Smart Vet, follow all suggestions he/she tells you!

Your Kitty will thank you for taking this step...
I know it's hard for you, but Kitty will not have that horrible pain anymore, and will be so relieved finally!
Wishing you both the best! Keep us posted!
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you sharon for sharing with me this amazing experience, say hi to adorable Charlie for me.

unfortunately i was informed that my beloved Yuri passed away the next morning after her surgery, cause of death "she couldn't handle the surgery, she was too weak, she barely woke up from anesthesia stood for a moment and went back to sleep". i believe in this vet..i trust this vet...she is the best in my city...i'm shocked and traumatized...i was never expecting something this horrible to happen.

My Gary is starting to have gingivitis he still eating home cooked food lost some weight but still energetic. i can't get through the same heartbreak again. i need advice what can i do besides surgery i dont think that will be an option for me anymore.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yuri&Gary.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	123874  

Last edited by marie73; 01-24-2019 at 01:21 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 05:06 PM
Premier Cat

So very sorry to hear of "Yuri"'s outcome.....at least she is free from pain, but the shock of her death is extremely difficult to accept. I do believe that we will see our beloved pets in the spiritual world. This is my consolation for previous pets that have passed.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 06:32 PM
Jr. Cat

Sorry to hear about your loss too Fae. That sounds like a horrible disease, you did all you could for her. Very nice photo you send in there of them both . I agree if you trust your vet then you should keep using her advice for any future situation despite what unfortunately happened.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 12:01 AM
Premier Cat

I'm so sorry Fae,& this is horrible news, and my heart is breaking along with yours...
PLEASE Get your other kitty in for for a FME before it's to late for that one...
If they're too weak for surgury, it can often be to late, for life saving surgury...
Again....my heart goes out to you, I am so sorry...;

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by marie73; 01-25-2019 at 12:14 AM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 12:19 AM
Premier Cat

Fae, please ,please get your other kitty in while he's still healthy enough ...
I know , you've just been through a traumatic experience...
But you need to give this guy a chance, before he becomes to weak...
Again, I am so sorry, my heart breaks for you...
I know what I went through with my original two...and it totally broke my heart...
Sha

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

@catloverami

Absolutely!! I'm trying to be strong, i wish i could have seen her before she crossed to the spiritual world thats my biggest regret, hopefully we will meet again...

Last edited by marie73; 01-26-2019 at 03:35 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

@swfc-dan

Thank you , I'm afraid the exact same scenario will repeat it self i don't think i can handle the same heartbreak.
We will start with a check up and see what the vet thinks...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1265.JPG.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	123896  

Last edited by marie73; 01-26-2019 at 03:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page