Shouldn't a Vet plus Assistant be able to restrain a cat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Shouldn't a Vet plus Assistant be able to restrain a cat?

I took my cat with kidney disease to the Vet's today because she wanted to draw some blood to test his kidney functions etc. I know my cat was upset and has not been feeling well but the past 2 days has gotten better. They took him in the other room to draw the blood. I hear a terrible scream from my cat. They had problems last time and I know my cat puts up a fight but shouldn't they know how to restrain him. Well needless to say they didn't get the blood.

I don't want my cat to be upset but it seems like if they knew how to do it right it could be done and over with in a hurry. Maybe she should have called someone else to help and didn't. I just wanted to see what any of your experiences have been.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 10:02 PM
Kitten

I never let my pets out of my sight at the vet for this very reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Well I know she was being gentle with my cat because she put a towel over him and was talking to him. The problem is it takes too much time to take him to another room. Just makes them more upset.

The only other thing that maybe could have happened is she couldn't find a vein because he is dehydrated but I think she would have told me that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator

YouTube videos aren't allowed, post deleted.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 10:58 PM
Tom Cat

Some are better at it than others and some cats are just a lot harder to restrain. When we took Saxon to a veterinary ophthalmologist, there were three vet students and one vet tech trying to restrain him while they put some kind of papery strip under each eyelid. He's so big, it's like wrestling with a furry octopus.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 01:15 AM
Premier Cat

When MowMow would go to the vet they would automatically put the welding gloves on the vet tech that had to hold him. They day before he was put to sleep it took 3 of us to restrain him for a Sub Q drip.

I wouldn't judge the vet's abilities on MowMow screaming, all she had to do was take out the thermometer and he'd start shrieking like they were peeling his skin off and that was with me standing there and no one touching him.

I did once ask about why they would sometimes take cats in the back to draw blood or other lab stuff. My vet told him me that often it has more to do with the human factor than the feline. An anxiety riddled helicopter pet parent can cause more stress in their pet than procedure they are trying to do. That made perfect sense to me because I tend to be that helicopter pet parent.

Just a thought.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 05:27 AM
Kitten

And Iíve heard the same. Itís common practice in some offices. But due to horror stories and bad experiences I donít let my pets out of my sight anymore, and then I personally know what happened. Some cats just hate everything that happens at the vet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 04:42 PM
Premier Cat

There's a TV program in Canada called "Dr. Keri: Prairie Vet", and sometimes she needs to use a squeeze cage or squeeze box to restrain an animal whether it's a calf or a cat, or occasionally for really wild behavior a mild sedative before blood can be taken.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Well I felt sorry for the Vet because she got a pretty bad scratch herself. But he had been in there before and she knew they had trouble before. As far as I know she was relying on one lady to hold him and she was trying to draw the blood. I'm not sure I'm going back to that Vet.

They need to have enough staff to safely restrain one of my cats under any circumstance or sedate him depending on the situation. I have lost some confidence in her and the competency of the Clinic in general. And I know my cat put up a fight but he has lost weight and is a scrawny 7 lbs now.

I tried to post a Youtube video but it wasn't allowed. But it showed how they held a very angry cat under a blanket and were able to pull his back leg out to draw blood.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 10:42 PM
Premier Cat

A angry, scared cat, no matter their weight, can be a very formidable adversary!
I know whenever I've taken my cats in, I've made sure to clip their nails before hand...
It's amazing how a small little cat, can be so strong, especially when they're scared!

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page