Cat won’t eat after having bad food - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Cat won’t eat after having bad food

Hi, I just joined the forum because I’m worried about my cat, Tetley. He’s an 8 or 9 year old DSH rescue. Up until last Friday he was in perfect health. I started him on a new food, whole earth farms duck pate, and then by Sunday/Monday he wasn’t eating hardly at all. I took him to the vet Monday morning they gave him an iv for fluids and a shot of anti-nausea medication, then sent me home with a hunger stimulant medicine. He’s been having the hunger stimulant for 5 days and he’s still not back to his normal eating habits. Today (Thursday) he ate about half the recommended amount of food for cats his weight.

Is it normal for cats to take this long to recover from an upset stomach issue? My vet said if he doesn’t get better they should do blood work but I don’t know if that’s necessary or if he’ll continue to slowly regain his appetite. Does anyone have any experience with a cat that is slow to start eating normally again? Any help would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 11:00 PM
Cat Addict

I'm sorry to hear about your cat. What are you feeding him now? I often have good luck with Fancy Feast pate. It's more important to eat something, even if it's not top shelf, than nothing.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 04:14 PM
Kitten

Is he energetic otherwise? Is there any vomiting? If he doesn't look like his usual self then I would definitely take the vet's advice and do the blood tests and biochemistry just to make sure his liver and kidneys are healthy. Good luck with your kittie, I hope he gets his appetite back soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you both for your concern and advice! I tried fancy feast, that worked for a while. In the end we did go for blood work and it turns out he has hyperthyroidism- it had gone into a stage where he didn’t want to eat instead of being constantly hungry. He’s on medication now and has gotten back to his normal self!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 10:37 AM
Kitten

Oh, I'm sorry to hear about his condition, but am so happy to hear that Tetley is back to his old self again!

P.s. I'm sorry I only read your reply now. Somehow I didn't notice any notifications

All the best to you and Tetley!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page