pilling a Senior Cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

pilling a Senior Cat

Hello. I have a senior cat recently diagnosed with severe heart disease. The only thing that will help her are her medicines. It is a complete battle. I have been reading previous posts about the difficulties to pill cats. My cat Sissy runs away foams at the mouth and becomes very upset when I try to give her medication. Then she will hide for hours. I realize this medicine is prolonging and saving her life but I am worried about the quality of her life we have to do this two times a day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 12:23 AM
Super Moderator

I wish I could welcome you under better circumstances, I'm sorry about your cat's diagnosis.

When I had to give meds to one of my girls, I went to Kaiser and they compounded it into a tuna-flavored liquid. I think most pharmacies will do this. Then I would fill the syringe with the correct amount of medicine and fill the rest of the way with actual tuna juice (from canned tuna) so the first thing she tasted was the tuna juice.

I'm not sure if this will be helpful or not, I know cats hate taking meds.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 06:28 AM
Jr. Cat

Thatís a great idea. Iíll have to keep that in mind if and when Iím confronted with this.

Don't be to critical of a mistake. It is evidence that at least
someone tried to do something.
Become better than you used to be, not better than someone else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 09:10 AM
Cat

You prob have tried these but Greenies pill pockets solved my dilemma. They are a bit expensive but do as the vet recommended and tear them in half and they mold easily around the pill. Try giving a bit of the greenies to the cat first to "prime" him. My cat loves them.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 06:40 AM
Kitten

Hi,
My Vet told me to wrap the pill in a pill pocket and cram it down my cats throat, I was doing that but my cat hated it so I asked a different Vet and they said that they could call a prescription in to my local compounding pharmacy for a cream. Now I just rub the cream on the inside of his ear - alternating ears daily. Working out great.

Just another option for you,

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page