Older kittie drinking and peeing a lot - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Older kittie drinking and peeing a lot

Hello!!
I have an older kittie (Abby!!) of about 14 years that seems to be drinking a lot of water and therefore peeing a lot for the last few months now. I thought at first it would go away...A little salt would help her hold water better...But why do you guys think she is drinking/peeing more now? Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 08:31 PM
Tom Cat

This is often a sign of diabetes or kidney problems starting. Get her to the vet for a checkup.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

OK, I will soon; thanks!!

Last edited by marie73; 03-29-2019 at 10:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 07:24 PM
Kitten

Diabetes?

Was the diagnosis diabetes? Don't be like me. I listened to my vet who had lots of other ideas on what my 13-year-old cat had when he had lost weight and was peeing and drinking more. I knew it was diabetes right away but the vet had to test for everything under the sun. Insist your vet test for diabetes first. Then get a human meter and strips to test your cat morning and night. My cat is on Lantus, which is very expensive, so I save money by using human meter and strips which are MUCH less costly than those made specifically for cats. If you read the meter properly, you will be OK.

Last edited by marie73; 04-03-2019 at 07:35 PM. Reason: selling meds, pet supplies, etc., not allowed here
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 09:06 PM
Kitten

You must get her to the vet. This sounds like either diabetes or the start of kidney failure.
So both can be treated and it is good you noticed this change. Is your cat overweight? Does
she eat canned food for only dry? Good luck at the vet.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

She is not overweight. Dry food soaked in water. Talked to the vet on the phone; NOT TOO MUCH they can do for my old kitty.
Hey, I need some salt in my diet sometimes; I gave some salt in my cats water. I'll see how it goes!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	53022096_10218161907343155_7224307967384879104_o.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	206.4 KB
ID:	124078  

Last edited by marie73; 04-03-2019 at 10:28 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

If she's drinking a lot of water, she should be peeing a lot. I would never recommend giving extra salt to a cat, you're forcing her to retain water.

Quote:
salt can produce excessive thirst and urination, or even sodium ion poisoning in pets. Signs that your pet may have eaten too many salty foods include vomiting, diarrhea, depression, tremors, elevated body temperature, seizures and even death.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 10:13 AM
Cat

I agree with everyone here and if your vet is saying there isn't much they can do for her then find a new vet or book an appointment and ask for blood work to be run and a urine sample to be taken. Increased thirst and urination is usually a sign of kidney problems or diabetes both of which can be managed! I just lost a kitty to kidney disease last year and she was the same age as your cat when she developed it.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73 View Post
If she's drinking a lot of water, she should be peeing a lot. I would never recommend giving extra salt to a cat, you're forcing her to retain water.
Yeah, adding salt is a true experiment. I monitor my cat accordingly. It's a little salt in the water, and I noticed a little difference in her drinking/peeing. I'm monitoring and see's doing OK now!!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

@ AnimalAnimeLover, I agree; that would be best.

Last edited by marie73; 04-04-2019 at 05:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page