Food Ideas for Boo - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Food Ideas for Boo

Hi all,
I have an 11 year old Siamese cat named Boo. I took him to the vet the other day because he has been losing weight at an alarming rate. A little over a year ago, I lost his brother to intestinal lymphoma and I'm recognizing many of the same symptoms in Boo. They ran blood tests and said he has pancreatitis. The cobalamin test results haven't come in yet but I'm pretty sure he has the lymphoma. With lymphoma they usually are voracious eaters because food isn't absorbed so they're always hungry. It is so important to keep them eating. With the pancreatitis, I gather it can be painful and often they won't eat so there's a conflict there. He was eating like crazy but now that has abruptly stopped. Every ounce lost, if he has the lymphoma, is hard to gain back. I do remember some of the things I gave his brother like baby food (chicken and turkey), cooked chicken, turkey, tuna and fish. Last night I cooked an egg for him, gave him kitten cat food (haven't gotten the baby food yet), even in desperation tried a little cottage cheese and just some bits of cheddar but no luck on any of it.

I was wondering if any of you have been in a similar situation with trying to get your cats to eat, if you learned any special tricks or have other food suggestions? I need to go to the store but thought maybe some of you might have some suggestions. It's killing me to watch him fade away so fast. He's such a sweet cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

Did the vet give you some pain meds for the pancreatitis? I would start there. You may need to syringe feed. Weruva, Tiki Cat and Fussie Cat have some of the lowest fat content of any food around. You would need to put it in a blender to syringe feed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 01:06 AM
Premier Cat

So sorry Boo has been diagnosed with pancreatitis...
My 15 year old, Miss Peaches was recently diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism, many of the same symptoms you're describing that Boo is showing...have you thought about getting a second opinion?

Wishing you and Boo, all the best...

What DoodleBug suggested, with the blender, and syringe feeding is good, if you're not sure how to do it, the vet can show you...

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Well, things aren't going very well with Boo. My main problem is finding food that he'll eat. The pancreatitis is apparently the least of my worries, it's the intestinal lymphoma that is taking him. About the only thing he will eat is turkey so I'm making sure he has plenty of that available. I've tried fish (cod), ham (run through a food processor), tuna, poached egg and chicken. He isn't interested in canned cat food or kibble. He is skin and bones. I know I'm going to lose him but I'm trying to keep him from declining so fast. Ironically I already ordered a few different flavors of the Tiki cat food so hopefully he will like that. I believe that is being delivered today. So, I just need to find more foods that he'll eat. I will say though that his demeanor is better, more alert, more mobile etc. We go back to the vet in a week.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

I'm so sorry you're going through this. With Cinderella, when she stopped wanting to eat, I knew it was time. I felt like if I syringe-fed her or gave her an appetite stimulant, I would be keeping her around just for me.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:56 PM
Premier Cat

Hi Debbie, so, is this what the vet actually diagnosed, or your worst fears it's happening again??

My cat Mr. Jazz, had a huge mass wrapping around his intestine, he had lost so much weight, so quickly, I knew something was wrong, x-rays actually showed the mass...
I talked to the vet about surgery, he told me the chances of removing it all, were next to impossible...
I decided I would not put Mr. Jazz through surgery at his age, in the condition he was already in.
I took him home, and just Loved him...
It wasn't to long later (days)he let me know , it was time for him to leave...
I honored him, by letting him go with his dignity...
My last Gift of Love to him.

If Boo has indeed been diagnosed with intestinal lymphoma, my heart goes out to you...

May Boo, like Mr. Jazz, give you the sign, he's ready to Fly Free to the Rainbow Bridge...

Many HUGS for you.
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

With my previous cat Sniffles, he definitely led the way on his time to leave. I just knew it would be that day so I stayed close with him and spent the time just loving him. It's somewhat ironic because Sniffles was a "sicky" cat all his life, had issues from pretty much the time he was born through his 10 years. I thought he really needed me and certainly the last years I did everything I could for him when he had the lymphoma diagnosis over his head. But when he left, I realized it wasn't him who needed me, it was I who needed him. It has been a little over a year and I still miss him every day. This time with Boo is all too familiar and sad but I'm doing all I can for him as well. He was diagnosed so this isn't just my fear speaking. He is such a character so I am enjoying every bit of that character he is showing still. We go back to the vet on Wednesday and I'm hoping perhaps he will have gained some weight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page