Spaying female kitten - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Spaying female kitten

On May 31 my kitten is going to be 5 months old and have the app for spaying. I'm afraid of that date. It's heartbreaking for me. It is like "I love you so much but...."
Other residents are forcing me to do it. What do u think is it better to do while she is in kitten age or to do later?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

Most shelters and rescues have a 2/2 rule - 2 lbs. and 2 months old. My twins were spayed at 9 weeks old and were running around like monkeys the same night. I do believe the younger they are, the faster they seem to recover. 5 months is a good age, there's really nothing to be afraid of. It's so much better than the alternative, you do NOT want to be around a howling cat in heat.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 01:49 PM
Jr. Cat

I agree with Marie73. I would get it done. I had to wait a little while longer when I had it done to my girl because she had a respiratory infection. She was 6 months old. You wont like it when they go into heat. It will be stressful for both of you. Ive be through it. I would never go through that again.

Don't be to critical of a mistake. It is evidence that at least
someone tried to do something.
Become better than you used to be, not better than someone else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 01:32 PM
Tom Cat

There are far more cats than there are homes for them. Trust me, she won't hold a grudge against you. She has no concept of wanting to be a mother some day, and she simply will not miss what she's never had.
She definitely won't miss having sex - cat sex is like something the Marquis De Sade would have dreamed up on a bad day.
Ours was done as an adult (estimated age of two years) and she recovered in about a week. Young cats recover much more quickly than that.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 02:00 PM
Premier Cat

Hi Zavarus!
Is your cat ONLY going to be an indoor cat...or is she going to be indoor and outdoor??
Indoor only, you could probably hold off a little longer, however, if she escapes, you may well be dealing with a young, pregnant mama....
And like others have mentioned, a female in heat, is no fun to be around!
If she got pregnant, are you willing to be a responsible owner, and find REALLY good homes for her offspring?
Unfortunately, lots of kittens lose their lives, because there's to many, to find homes for...
Truly, she will be a much happier cat getting spayed, and her natural instincts, won't get her into trouble!
She will be more loving, and a homebody for you!
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in