Hello, trying to save our orphaned newborn - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Hello, trying to save our orphaned newborn

Hello, I am new here, but we definitely have our work cut out ahead of us and I'm already accumulating a sleep debt trying to make sure this neonatal orphaned kitten survives and we can offer him a happy life.

About 3 days ago my wife found some orphaned kittens near her work office, the area is notorious for strays so it wasn't surprising to see kittens, however these were left alone long enough that we felt we needed to take them for fear of stray dogs and other predators in our rural area. We started with two. The first day, both were as active as you can imagine for newborns, one was about palm size, but the other was beyond the definition of a runt. They did not eat much the very first day despite trying to feed them (syringe) every 2-3 hours. The 2nd day, they both had a great meal at about 10am and we thought things were heading in a good direction. The bigger one obviously had a healthy filling and the tiny one had just a little, about 1-2 ml. When I went to feed them at about 1pm, the tiny one had entered crisis mode for KFS, and unfortunately, despite all of our efforts and maintaining a proper room temperature, our, and time to rest, she passed by 630pm.

Now the better, yet frustrating situation. The healthy cat is eating like a champ. I had a scare because at 4am he only drank about 1ml, I couldn't get him to eliminate (sometimes I cant get him to urinate or poop at all despite all of my stimulation efforts) so I rushed to the vet first thing this morning. I was really worried he was constipated and couldn't eliminate, but the moment they checked his rectal temperature he just let it all out, and even a second time while at the vets, that was more than he had done in 3 days with us!

At 1145 this morning (his usual feeding is at 10am, but the vet took a while) he did awesome, 7ml! I didnt want to force him to eat again at 1am after such a bug meal, so I gave him a couple of hours until 2pm. He only drank 1ml and he has been meowing like crazy for almost two hours. He wont eliminate, he wont burp, he isnt in pain, temperature is 97, and the room is a comfortable 85ish with no draft.

Is he just being stubborn or can anyone offer any advice on what my state of mind should be about this. He is only 3-5 days old according to my vet, he cut the umbilical cord while we were there.

Seeing his brother/sister pass last night was devastating for me and my wife, and I refuse to let this little guy down, he just hates being picked up, stimulated, attempted to be des (but oh boy if he is hungry and latches on to that syringe nipple is kneading and purrs).

Its nice to meet you all, and hope to hear from you as our little newborn works his journey through life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page