Limp or change in gate - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Question Limp or change in gate

I have a little black cat named Roscoe. She was born December 18th, 2017 and I got her February 2018. So sheís a little over a year old. Personality wise Roscoe is not an aggressive cat at all. Nothing you do ever gets her to be bite or swipe or hiss. Just not her style. She prefers to purr her way out of discomfort or just leave. Sheís never been food motivated, but she does eat when sheís hungry. Honestly her motivator is sheís always looking to play. She loves to chase things.

So thatís the back story.

Iíve noticed on 2 separate occasions that Roscoe has limped or changed her gate as she walks. Itís in the back legs and not the front. Sheís also started flopping on the floor and just lying there like my older cat does which Roscoe previously didnít really do.

As far as I can tell, Roscoe isnít in pain. I can touch her feet, her legs, her back hip, and seem to have no problem. She doesnít flinch, cry, swipe, cringe, or anything that seems to notify me that sheís bothered by what Iím doing. Honestly Iíve only seen it twice and Iíve checked her twice. The first time she seemed unbothered and simply purred. I put her from her perch to the floor and she just stood there purring looking to play. The second time I became suspicious it was her hip. So when I checked her I made sure to touch and squeeze her hip a little. All she did was let me touch her and then purred and curled up looking to play.

So Iím stuck. On the one hand, Roscoe isnít making any sign to me sheís seriously hurt. She doesnít do the limp/change in gate all the time. And it hasnít impeded her ability to climb her perch or desire to play. If anything she just flops and gives up on a play session a little sooner. On the other hand, she HAS had a limp/change in gate at least twice. Which is unusual and concerningÖ.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

I'm sure it's nothing, but I'm sending an email to the vet just to calm my worry.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

That's a good idea. When Cali broke two toes, she didn't make a sound when the emergency vet manipulated her paw. Nothing. So the vet didn't think it was serious, but I insisted on x-rays because she was limping.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

The issue has escalated in a weird way.

Yesterday when I got home from work I picked her up several times and softly put her on my bed on all 4 paws. In doing so it was clear something with her rear left leg was bothering her as she'd immediately remove weight from that leg. Even shivered it once. When i finally let her go she did a limp step or two forward and flopped.

This morning before work she was walking around fine bringing me toys looking to play. Worried she'd be hurt i refused hoping she'd relax. But she followed me around anyways. Finally she hopped up on my bed on her own, took three steps and flopped. Only when she did she 1) hopped, not limped, on 3 paws refusing to put weight on 1 paw. and 2) the leg she refused to put weight on was now her rear right leg. so the leg has changed.

We've got a 7am appointment tomorrow to have her looked at. She's an indoor only cat. no kids. just one other cat. they've known he other for a year now. So i don't know what's wrong.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Vet called. She's doing X-Rays to confirm. She thinks Roscoe has Remedial Luxating Patella. Essentially her knee cap is moving. Depending on severity a surgery may be needed. If so it won't solve the issue, just help it from getting worse faster. From what I read online it is genetic. It can lead to arthritis, consistent joint pain, and over time eventually lead to a lack of mobility in both her back legs. Roscoe is just over a year old born 12/18/17. So this is her new normal. It's all down hill from here.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 05:46 PM
Cool Cat

I had a dog with this. It showed up when he was quite young (like maybe a year old) and it bothered him off and on. He'd run on 3 legs or 4 legs, but the back two legs seemed to take turns which one was the bothersome one at the time. Yes, genetic.

He lived quite a long time and we only gave him some baby aspirin when he seemed to be having a run of trouble. I've heard that aspirin is not good for cats, so I'd ask the vet about some alternative.

It may be Roscoe's new normal, but it's not necessarily catastrophic or terminal so please don't freak out. My little dog never slowed down, and he spent a lot of time running around outdoors in the fenced yard.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Eldercat,

Thank you for replying. Right now I'm looking at a cat that suddenly can't walk right who's jumping up and down off things, at the costs of vet visits and surgeries, and I'm freaking out a little bit. I've never had a special needs animal before. It sounds like your dog wasn't overly hampered by it. How long did your dog survive? Did you have to make certain concessions? like build little stairs or anything?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:58 PM
Cool Cat

I never did anything, once I found out what the problem was, other than the occasional baby aspirin. This dog lived into old age, and I put him down when he went blind and it was plain he was miserable. And I'm NOT talking about his knees, he had just gotten old and frail and was at the end of his road. The vet agreed; she said, "He's tired, he's just worn out", he'd gone gray on his muzzle. Old dog, like 15 or so.

Roscoe will adjust, will figure out what really can or can't be done well any longer. They don't have the same reaction that we do, they just accept it and go on. (I had a kitten who was partly paralyzed, and he never slowed down either, but he could not jump & he figured that out pretty quickly after a few tries. He scrambled up and down everywhere, even a tree.) You might consider a ramp like chickens have, with "frets" so it's not just some smooth slope.

Personally, if surgery isn't going to *fix* something, it's just a huge expense and trauma, IMHO. I'd watch and wait and just see how things settle. You have the diagnosis and you can always change your mind about treatments. But that's just me. And I've not seen Roscoe, you have. Squirrel away $1000 in a Surgery Fund and go from there.

I hope things will work out well for you both, it is upsetting when they're not 100%.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page