Maria's left eye :( - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Hello,

This is Maria - and I'm Nelson Nice meeting you all!

Maria is 14 years old - she's been always healthy, active and happy; but as you can see in the photos, she's having some trouble with one of her pupils, which appears smaller than the other one.

This has also happened 2 months ago; I called a vet, he checked her over and gave me Cylocort, an ointment that I appllied on her eye for a week. The difference disappeared then.

Now it's here again.
I'm considering calling an ophthalmologist.

I as just wondering if any of you have heard of this symptom. I checked the internet for similar situations, but there are many possibilities, and some of them point to other symptoms she does not have.

Thank you so much for you input. And I'm sorry for any english mistakes! Not my first language

Thank you and nice meeting you all again
Nelson

Hello, cat lovers

First of all, thank you for reading my post! It's about Maria, my lovely 14 y/o cat.
Second, I'm sorry for any English mistakes; it's not my first language...

I already posted about this a week ago, but since I haven't received any replies, I decided to explain the situation with more details.

Maria showed anisocoria (uneven pupils - constricted left pupil) about two months ago. I called a vet, and he prescribed Ciprofloxacin (cream) for her eye.
The uneven pupils disappearead in 5 days.

It's been 7 days that she presented the same symptom again. Same eye. Also, I noticed drooping of the eyelid, subtle sinking of the eyeball into the eye socket, and protrusion of the third eyelid.
I was almost calling an ophthalmologist when I also noticed her shaking her head and tilting her left ear down, as if something was bothering her. I called my vet again, he came over and found out an otitis. He said the anisocoria might happen due to this fact. He prescribed an antibiotic, and an anti-inflammatory.

Now it's been 4 days that she's been treated with these medicaments. She's not showing discomfort with her ear anymore. But... the uneven pupils are still there. Same size, just a little better than before.
I was wondering if anyone has been through this with their cat... Should I start thinking about a neurologist? Maybe I should wait for the completion of this treatment?
Any comments are deeply appreciated!
Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0775.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	124184  

Click image for larger version

Name:	31555275-B9D9-4C6A-B651-407F711A2352.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	124186  

Last edited by marie73; 05-24-2019 at 12:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 01:32 PM
Kitten

Yes, I definitely would follow up with an ophthalmologist.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 01:41 PM
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby. View Post
Yes, I definitely would follow up with an ophthalmologist.
I have a young cat that has cerebellar hypoplasia and has permanently dilated pupils from running into walls and doors at full run chasing after my two other cats that I adopted the same time as I did him when they were all kittens. Maybe your kitty had a similar head injury that affected that eye only like David Bowie. He had one eye that the pupil would not constrict. It happened when he was a teen and got into a fist fight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Hi, Libby,

My cat had an otitis, which lead to a miosis. It is considered a quite usual affliction. She has been treated, her eye problems were corrected and now she's fine.

Thanks

Last edited by marie73; 07-10-2019 at 03:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page