How much to feed my cat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Question How much to feed my cat?

Hello! I'm happy to have found this forum, and I would like some advice. I have a 4-1/2 year old cat who weighs 18 lbs. 12 oz. The vet would like him to lose a little weight. I was feeding him three times a day, a 3 oz. can of Fancy Feast each feeding. I'm trying to cut him down to 2 cans a day, but it's been a month and he's still acting like he's hungry. How much should he be fed daily?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

I don't have answers as to caloric values and weight, etc. But holy mother of cats riding turtles, I can walk into my kitchen 10 minutes after feeding my girls and Cleo will whine as though I haven't fed her in days. You have to remember your cat is not the boss of you, stay strong.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 07:37 PM
Premier Cat

How much should he be fed daily? It depends....on his size (if he's a Maine Coon cat or similar size, an 18 lb. male would be an acceptable weight), also on his age and activity level. Both my Devon Rex cats are busy and active and have slim builds. Each one eats approx. the same amount per day, but one is 14+ and the other is 3, and they really enjoy to eat; their breed description even describes them as "food hounds". A cat at a healthy weight should have a light layer of fat over their body, so that you can just feel their ribs, and shoulder bones, but not feel the bones near the base of the tail. Viewed from above, you should see a slight indentation of a waist, if not he's likely overweight. It's beneficial to the cat to maintain an average weight, because obesity may lead to other problems.

Here is a link on good cat nutrition: https://catinfo.org/

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 11:31 PM
Cat Addict

We weigh the food. And, yes, different cans/brands have different calorie counts. For comparison through, my 6 cats eat between 3.8oz and 5.5oz PER DAY each. It is impacted by their age, bone structure, activity level.

Cats fed an appropriate amount are very food motivated....they try to eat everything. Groceries on the counter are opened and tasted for edibility within minutes. They tried to eat my bean pillow. They lately have decided that tomatoes are edible. They open cabinets. They jump in the fridge when I open the door. If he is hungry, you’re on the right track.

Last edited by marie73; 05-23-2019 at 12:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in