Cat Forum banner

How much to feed my cat?

844 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Kittys Mom 
#1 ·
Hello! I'm happy to have found this forum, and I would like some advice. I have a 4-1/2 year old cat who weighs 18 lbs. 12 oz. The vet would like him to lose a little weight. I was feeding him three times a day, a 3 oz. can of Fancy Feast each feeding. I'm trying to cut him down to 2 cans a day, but it's been a month and he's still acting like he's hungry. How much should he be fed daily?

#2 ·
I don't have answers as to caloric values and weight, etc. But holy mother of cats riding turtles, I can walk into my kitchen 10 minutes after feeding my girls and Cleo will whine as though I haven't fed her in days. You have to remember your cat is not the boss of you, stay strong.

#3 ·
How much should he be fed daily? It depends....on his size (if he's a Maine **** cat or similar size, an 18 lb. male would be an acceptable weight), also on his age and activity level. Both my Devon Rex cats are busy and active and have slim builds. Each one eats approx. the same amount per day, but one is 14+ and the other is 3, and they really enjoy to eat; their breed description even describes them as "food hounds". A cat at a healthy weight should have a light layer of fat over their body, so that you can just feel their ribs, and shoulder bones, but not feel the bones near the base of the tail. Viewed from above, you should see a slight indentation of a waist, if not he's likely overweight. It's beneficial to the cat to maintain an average weight, because obesity may lead to other problems.

Here is a link on good cat nutrition: https://catinfo.org/

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
We weigh the food. And, yes, different cans/brands have different calorie counts. For comparison through, my 6 cats eat between 3.8oz and 5.5oz PER DAY each. It is impacted by their age, bone structure, activity level.

Cats fed an appropriate amount are very food motivated....they try to eat everything. Groceries on the counter are opened and tasted for edibility within minutes. They tried to eat my bean pillow. They lately have decided that tomatoes are edible. They open cabinets. They jump in the fridge when I open the door. If he is hungry, you’re on the right track.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.