Cat meowing a lot - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Cat meowing a lot

Got him from a friend of my dad, he was a stray that walked into his house and stayed there. Loves attention, between 6-8 years old, is a Tuxedo cat, male. Had him since October 2018, used to hide all the time for months, now he does not really hide anymore he lays down, he's now slow going down the stairs unless it's his time to get treats or some water from the sink. He used to always lay in the basement with my dad, now he's always upstairs on the couch and meows at me SO MUCH and just brings me to his food so he eats or to lay on his side for pets. Sometimes he walks to my room and meows and rubs his face, sometimes he just meows from far away rooms, sometimes his meows sound really really sad. He eats lots still, plays anytime I am with him and have "da bird" or his little mouse and loves the cat nip. Sometimes his paws shake when he purrs. Sleeps with my dad upstairs. Does not poop much these days, pees fine and he's been fixed...whoever owned him before fixed him. Does not drink much water these days either, he's just kinda "there" now when he's not meowing at me. Does not even hide like I said, just lays on the couch or goes to the open window I open for him...he's an inside cat.

Took him to the vets in November and he got a shot for his health good for 2 years and found out he's allergic to fleas but he's got none right now. Sometimes when I bring him to get water from bathroom sink he jumps down after and a minute later he walks fast back for more water. He has a bowl with lots of water I refill and always keep his bowl of dry food and lately some wetfood in the other dish. His legs both seems to feel like it has less muscle in it but could be just me.

Does this seem like a cat in pain or just getting old?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Oh and he's never been much of a grooming cat...sometimes? but not very often, his belly fur always looks like a mess.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 08:51 AM
Tom Cat

Have you taken him to the vet? It could be urinary tract crystals. Male cats in particular do better on wet food than on dry kibble to prevent that.
Loss of muscle mass can also be diabetes or kidney disease.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Not yet, will be sure to give a visit.

Thanks.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

They could not find anything wrong with him, could be because he's getting older. Better safe then sorry I said.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 10:11 PM
Tom Cat

Could be cognitive issues, if he's quite old. I had one that lived to age 18 and in the last 2 years of his life tended to yowl at the top of his lungs whenever he was alone in a room or the back yard. When I called his name, he'd stop and look at me as if to say "Oh... so that's where I am."
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

I could live with that. I told one of the receptionists that today my cat came to my room and meowed and turned around to walk towards the living room like he called me over and said "ok it's time to give me attention now", then he lays down on his side and wants pets.

Yeah, that's a normal thing for my cat here.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:50 PM
Kitten

I had a talkative cat who got very loud as he aged, always when he thought he was alone. He was quite deaf, too, so I figured he couldn't tell how loud he was being. Like Nuliajuk's cat, he also seemed surprised when anyone caught him at his operatic wailing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page