High end cat food - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

While Iams is not the worst, it's definitely not the best choice. But I do understand that we feed our cats what we can afford (and what they'll eat).

Quote:
The second biggest flaw of Iams is that it contains meat byproducts. This term means that the meat used in the product has been found to be inappropriate for human consumption, that is, meat from diseased or dead animals, or spoiled meat. This meat derives straight from the rendering industry.

Good cat food should list actual types of meat on the label, things like chicken, lamb, or fish. Any reference to "meat" in general, or worse, "meat by-products," means the material very likely came from the rendering plant.
My girls have been eating a lot of crappy food lately, because I'm doing what I can to get Cali to eat. I'll switch back to better food later.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by marie73; 07-17-2019 at 11:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 06:42 PM
Cool Cat

Many people have low opinion of dry food, and you'll hear bad things of Iams (and Hills and Purina and all the others)... but you have to do what works for you and your situation. Cats who have been dumped/abandoned often have serious attitudes about food - food insecurity, I guess.

Gold stars to you rescuing her.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

^ Agree. I won't even post what my girls are eating right now. Cali is ruling the food choices.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 11:22 PM
Cat

I've been trying to get my Siamese to eat better foods and finally found one that I like. One thing I noticed since she started eating it is she sheds less. Not sure if it is related.

I agree with the comments that sometimes you feed them what they will eat.

Jill
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 11:17 AM
Kitten

I went nuts awhile back trying to find the best food possible without breaking the bank and frankly it's just not possible and there some debate over what is "best" for them.

That said while all my previous cats just had the standard dry food from the local supermarkets they were also outdoor cats that liked to bring me "gifts" so I am sure they supplemented their dry cat food diet with hunted down food and never had much issues. Doing weeks of the above mentioned research I found that dry food is pretty much the bottom of the rung in terms of quality and healthy choices for your cat which I will assume is less of a factor if your cats go outside and do catch and eat other beasties to supplement what you are feeding them.

After adopting Jasmine which is an indoor only cat I decided to do things different. She eats Fancy Feast, "pate" only as I found the ingredients in the pate better, and has one can a day. Half during breakfast and the other half at dinner in the evening, she also has a bowl of dry food to nibble on if she gets hungry in between but far less than my previous pets had.

This seems to working out great for her, her fur is super nice and shiny, she doesn't have any digestive problems. We add a little water to her fancy feast when we give it to her and she just loves it. We add water as she doesn't really want to drink water from her bowl and "needs" to drink "fresh" water right from our glasses...we actually just get her her own glass now...lol

She particular likes to jump on my wife's work desk and steal her water!

Hmmm..

Last edited by Calistin; 08-01-2019 at 11:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page