4 year old cat losing her balance - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

4 year old cat losing her balance

Hello everyone. My four year old cat has recently started doing this weird thing where she shakes her head and then stumbles. She fell off the bottom stair recently so I took her to the vet and he gave her a shot of anti-inflammatory medicine because he said it felt like she had pain in her leg where she fell.

However, after I got her home, she is continuing to do the shaking of the head thing. I can tell she doesn't feel good because she's acting different. She's still eating though. I'm taking her back to the vet tomorrow and asking him to check for ear mites because my other 2 year old cat is also starting to shake her head. She isn't stumbling, though.

I just moved into a new house and I thought she was stumbling because she wasn't used to laminate but that's obviously not the case. I'm worried sick because obviously thanks to the internet and researching I've convinced myself that she has a brain tumor Thanks internet.

When I took her to the vet he looked in her ears and didn't say anything was off. And she didn't have a temperature and her eyes were normal, so it's just so confusing and concerning.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

An ear issue would be my first thought, also. Maybe since your other cat is displaying some of the same symptoms, the vet will take a closer look at her ears when you bring her in tomorrow. Good luck.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Also, quick question: She didn't have a fever yesterday when I took her to the vet, does that mean she doesn't have an ear infection?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

I don't have any experiences with ear infections with my girls, hopefully someone else will chime in.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Turns out she had some really dirty ears, so the vet cleaned them and put drops in them because she said her ears were inflamed. Thankfully she is back to her rotten self now. I was embarrassed about how dirty her ears were. The vet also gave me drops to put into her ears so I'm looking forward to that activity.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

I'm pretty lucky, my twins clean each other's ears and even Cleo's.

Glad the mystery is cleared up, but too bad you had to go back. I don't think you should have been charged for the second visit since the vet clearly missed some major ear issues.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 11:24 PM
Premier Cat

Glad she's feeling better. My Shepherd Book has chronic ear issues. He gets ear infections in his left ear. He also develops balance issues if it's let go too long. I can always tell when it's starting because he 'tips' his ear (that's what I call it). He starts flattening that one ear. It's not constantly, he'll just suddenly flatten the one ear and then perk it up again. Next starts the head shaking and scratching.

I find that Zymox OTIC helps if I catch it in the early stages. Once he starts digging and infection sets in, we have to see the vet but if I catch it fast enough the Zymox OTIC can clear it up in about a week.

And you're right, they REALLY don't like their ears messed with. I wind up wearing more of the medicine than gets in his ears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
Turns out she had some really dirty ears, so the vet cleaned them and put drops in them because she said her ears were inflamed. Thankfully she is back to her rotten self now. I was embarrassed about how dirty her ears were. The vet also gave me drops to put into her ears so I'm looking forward to that activity.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

I got some of that stuff on the recommendation of a cat trapper and I'm hoping to get it in a few days. It will be fun, that's for sure.

No, no it won't be.

They will hate me but hopefully it will let their ears be happy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in