Anus protruding - older male cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Anus protruding - older male cat

Hi,
I have an older cat, 14, male.
I've noticed his anus is protruding a bit... (I've only had him 6 months, so don't know how long it's been like that).
And I think he may be a little constipated.
He generally poops alternate days. The poop is firm, so I've been giving him a cat laxative (Pet Wellbeing: Smooth BM Gold).
Anyone know of other, natural, and affordable ways to encourage bowel movements?
(If he's in distress, I'll definitely take him to a vet, but I'm looking here for 'home remedy' suggestions, please!)
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 07:48 AM
Premier Cat

To make his poops softer and easier to pass, you could add to his food some canned pumpkin puree (1 teaspoon), not pumpkin pie filling and to make it more palatable to him, with a little added sardine oil or liquid from canned salmon. He should be pooping more often, as food does not stay in a cat's digestive track as long as it does in a person. If he's on dry food, it's difficult for a cat to get enough water even by drinking. Cats being an "obligate carnivore" (meateater) canned food is healthier for a cat's digestion as it is more like his natural food if he were wild. All the best!

Here's a good link on proper nutrition for cats: https://catinfo.org/

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Many thanks!
I'll give your suggestions a try
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 11:21 PM
Kitten

Lecithin granules help with constipation and furballs. I stumbled across this by accident when my Patches starting having elevated liver panel. I read that lecithin helps milk thistle work better so I started giving her a 1/4-1/2 teaspoon in her food and I also read that it was good for furballs so I started putting it in all the cat's bowls at meal times. When I was giving it to everyone twice a day, I noticed the stools I was scooping out for some of the cats was flatter indicating that the stool was looser. So it sounds like a good remedy for your cat's constipation. You'll have figure out by trial and error how much to give him to keep him regular. I buy the lecithin granules at my neighborhood health food store. I buy the gmo-free soy lecithin. I tried the sunflower lecithin version but Miss. Patches didn't seem to like it as much. So I now buy just the gmo-free soy lecithin.

If the lecithin isn't enough, you can also try a dollop (size of a quarter or 50 cent coin) of half and half or cream, don't give him any more than that or he'll be gassy and uncomfortable. I use half and half every day in my coffee so it's easy for me to treat my cats with a spot of half and half.

Last edited by marie73; 07-07-2019 at 11:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in