Cat diagnosed with kidney disease - seeking input - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Cat diagnosed with kidney disease - seeking input

Hi Folk's, I am so sad to learn that by beloved cat Sandy has some early kidney problem's as shown by her creatinine and specific gravity #'s. I rescued her off the street in 2007 when I was home on disability and on chemo at the time. I would just sit on a rocker outside (due to low energy) and Sandy would more often than not come by and sit not far from me. So I adopted her.

Sandy's vet has asked me to put her on the Hill's prescription K/D Kidney care diet. And I started the conversion as of this morning. My understanding is that it is a lower protein formula, but is also designed to provide other benefit's for the kidney's.

I am also researching other views on the best diet for Sandy...Dr. Karen Becker who I believe is a world renown nutritional vet (I can't say for sure though as I am just starting my research), has a different view about protein. She says that older cat's (Sandy is about 14 year's old) including those with kidney disease need (more) not less protein. But it needs to be very high quality protein - that is, human grade if possible.

Obviously I want to do the best I can for Sandy, so I have the following question's:

1) Does anyone here use the Hill's Kidney care diet for their cat? How has it worked? How long has your can survived on it so far?

2) Does anyone here know of Dr. Becker? Or used a human grade protein diet with their cat with kidney issues? How has it worked, and how long has your cat survived so far?

Any and all input welcome in this difficult choice.

Thanks,

Joe and Sandy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0540.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	124282  

Last edited by auto; 08-02-2019 at 02:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

I'm surprised there is no input from folk's on this thread...It is said statistically 30-50% (studies vary) of cat's suffer from kidney disease especially as they get older. It is an epidemic among domestic cat's.

Good news, I've found a bunch of review's from cat-owner's using Hill's-Kidney-care food's and the review's are very good to awesome: from helpful, to greatly enhanced Q.O.-Life, to actual Life-Saving! Very encouraging...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 09:38 AM
Jr. Cat

Iím sure your aware of TANYA'S COMPREHENSIVE GUIDE TO FELINE CHRONIC KIDNEY DISEASE. It has a lot of good information. Hope your kitty is feeling better.

Larry

Don't be to critical of a mistake. It is evidence that at least
someone tried to do something.
Become better than you used to be, not better than someone else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Nope I was not...I'm going to get the info...Thanks Larry!

Last edited by marie73; 08-05-2019 at 12:45 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 06:31 PM
Kitten

I would start giving her 200mg of CoQ10 with vitamin E daily. Studies have shown that CoQ10 is good for the heart, liver and kidneys and will bring down BUN as well as creatinine levels.

https://www.rejuvenation-science.com...kidney-failure

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/...84031000095002

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...1111/bju.12485

https://www.amjmedsci.com/article/S0...213-6/fulltext

https://www.healthpro.com.sg/index.p...le&news_id=158
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 08:23 PM
Kitten

Sadly, my cat Buddy just passed away from CRF 6 weeks ago. He started to have failure at around or before age 4 which is so very sad. He only made it to 10 and a half.

There is a feline CRF support list on yahoo groups. Its very helpful.

I would definitely stick to KD food. If I could go back in time I think I would insist on xray. Turned out Buddy had stones in kidneys and bladder. With your cat cat it might be more an age issue so not sure it would help.

Last edited by marie73; 08-07-2019 at 08:43 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

@ Libby

Thanks so much for the suggestion;s and links, I'll give them my full consideration.

Last edited by marie73; 08-08-2019 at 09:25 AM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

@ Matthewh

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss Matthew, at lease you were able to extend his life by 6 years after diagnosis and that say's so much about you and your love for Buddy.

Thanks for the opinion on KD food, and the idea about an xray. I'll discuss that with Sandy's vet next time around. Maybe they can accomplish the test with an ultrasound or something.

Last edited by marie73; 08-08-2019 at 09:27 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 10:06 AM
Kitten

So sorry to hear about your cat. I also got news that my cat had kidney failure about 8 months ago. I did not use the Hills can food but just give him wet food in mornings and Texas Tripe raw at night. I also add water to his wet food so he gets more water. We found my cat we think he was around 6 four years ago. He seems to be better for now. I need to take him to my new vet who is holistic and see if things have changed. 🙏🏻
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks for sharing this, I am so glad your cat is doing better!..There is a lot to be said about the holistic approach and I'm researching it as an alternative to Hill's. My cat has taken to the Hill's dry food very well, but has not really embraced the Hills wet food yet.

Last edited by marie73; 08-10-2019 at 11:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page