Cat suddenly gone off wet food - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Cat suddenly gone off wet food

I give my 2 cats a mixed diet of dry and wet wood, and different varieties. But suddenly my cat Indy suddenly won't eat any wet food, whether tinned or his favourite sachets. He usually loves his food so this is worrying me, I took him to the vet yesterday because I'd noticed him sneezing a lot lately too which he'd never done before. They issued Loxicom for him as it may be a cat cold, which I'm having to put on dried food which isn't ideal.

But his sneezing has almost stopped now and he seems healthy and just like his normal self/energy levels etc. So I feel like it's something else going on. I thought maybe it could be a teeth issue but vet said his teeth looked fine. He is still scoffing down dried food which he likes probably more anyway so his appetite hasn't gone, and he does go and sniff any wet food I put down but something seems to be stopping him eating it almost.

What is a good way to try and resolve this? Should I back off wet food for a week or two, and then try introducing it to him again? I know cats are fussy eaters so I don't want him to think he can eat dried the rest of his life (as he seems to prefer it the most), and so can refuse wet until I just give in to him. Can it be common for cats to suddenly go off food they have eaten all their lives?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I've finally managed to get him to eat some wet food, by breaking it up with spoon and putting on a plate for him so its easier. He ate much very slow though and really seemed to be having difficulty chewing and he was only chewing on one side. Eating dried food he is slower too now.

So I'm sure it must be a sore back tooth. The vet said his teeth look fine BUT she couldn't see right to the back when doing a quick check. That's where it must be sore- why can't they use something to help check the back teeth??

Going to have to go back to vet again now I'm sure, and will be yet more costs- very annoying. Will he likely require a mouth scan/x-ray? And is it quite likely he'll need the tooth removed, if so can that be done with the cat awake?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

Cleo has had several teeth removed - definitely under anesthesia, which is the most expensive part of the bill. They've never taken x-rays before a dental. I'm not sure if you've ever tried (I have! Once) to look at a cat's teeth, but cats do NOT like their mouth opened or someone prodding around inside. Maybe they'll have tools or a method to look at the back teeth better when you return. You might try giving him baby food until the next vet visit (but make sure it's garlic-free).

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I'm just frustrated that they couldn't look at the teeth properly the first time. If it involves teeth removal, does that affect their eating much going forward?

And does anyone have any tips how to keep their teeth cleaner? I know it's good if you can brush their teeth, but I've never done it with my cats so I imagine it would give them too much stress now. I do sometimes give them a treat called Whiskas Dentibits which is supposed to help their teeth, I know in reality it probably does little! Dry food is better than wet for teeth though I assume?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

No, that's a myth/misinformation. Dry food doesn't clean a cat's teeth any more than munching on Fritos cleans ours. Don't I wish that worked! Cleo has had about half her teeth pulled and she eats anything that's not moving, and some things that are. Cleo has always had bad teeth, she also has FORL, where the gums reabsorb the teeth. There are dental rinses you can put in your cat's mouth, and I do believe there are dental treats that actually work. I do understand your frustration. I would ask not to be charged for the follow-up visit, or at least for a discount for having to bring your cat back.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page