LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Ziggy, looking for insurance and help with IBD

Hello!

My name is Mike, my wife's name is Nancy, and our preciouses little snow shoe/siamese is named Ziggy... though we often refer to her as "da muffin" because she looked like a little muffin when she was a kitten.

The three of us just moved to Colorado after a long year fighting breast cancer. We got Ziggy just a month before Nancy was diagnosed with a very rare form of breast cancer. Ziggy means this world to us, especially my wife. She always says that Ziggy got her through chemo... and I helped a little too. Our little girl started getting sick just around the time we moved in here in the rockies. Yesterday, after a week of multiple vets, blood work, shots, an ultrasound, lots of vomiting, and stress for all three of us, she was diagnosed with inflammatory bowel disease. So this is the main reason I'm here, two things...

1. We would like some advice on dealing with Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Ziggy is a finicky eater already, any advice on diet, nutrition, activity... anything! We just NEED her to get better. We have some special food coming next week and they did give her an anti-nausea shot when she was sedated during the ultrasound yesterday, so right now she's feeling so good and acting like her old self again... I'm choking up a little just writing those words. However, I want to keep a level head and be realistic, and I know that we still have a tough road ahead. Dealing with cancer teaches you to hope for the best and plan for he worst. Again, any advice would be very much appreciated! ...and yes. I'm going to look around this forum once I'm done writing this, I promise!

2. I didn't get pet insurance for da muffin because she's only 1.5 years old. Now that she has been diagnosed, her condition in pre-existing. Every plan I've seen so far will NOT cover pre-existing conditions. Please, any advice on any coverage at all would be most grateful. I know how to fight health insurance companies (a mother with liver cancer and a wife with breast cancer teaches you things), but I don't know how much of that knowledge will translate to pet insurance. Again, any advice would be most appreciated!

We have dipped very deeply into our life savings this past year fighting cancer and could really use a break. Don't anyone worry, Ziggy will be VERY WELL taken care of...she's family. I just anticipate that this might get very expensive on top of our existing medical bills.

Thank you for having me on your forum and for thank you in advance for any advice!

Cheers,
Mike, Nancy, & Ziggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 12:54 AM
Super Moderator

Poor little Ziggy. I have no experience with IBD with my cats, but hopefully you'll get some good advice.

I'm so sorry for all your family has gone through.

I looked around for a long time and couldn't find any pet insurance that would cover pre-existing conditions.

Ziggy sounds adorable, pictures are always welcome here (hint, hint).

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 01:05 PM
Kitten

Hi Mike...
There are a few things that I can offer that might help Ziggy.

George's Aloe.
Since the I in IBD means inflammation, the very first thing I would do for Ziggy is to give her something to soothe that inflamed gut. The best thing that I know of that is soothing and healing is Aloe. The best aloe on the market is George's Aloe. My sister told me about George's Aloe more than 20 years ago. She has a history of inflammatory gut, she was eventually diagnosed with Hashimoto's and Lupus. Anyway, George's aloe has no preservatives, is shelf-stable and no bitter taste. It tastes like water. As for how soothing it is; I suffer from GERD and when I have a particularly bad night of reflux, I get a glass of George's Aloe and sip on it. I can feel the raw pain from the acid reflux soothed with every sip. You can get George's Aloe at your health food store, Whole Foods and online. I would put George's Aloe in her water and in a small dish beside her water bowl to see if she will drink it willingly. I would also give her some via dosing syringe daily to make sure she got some in her tummy. George's Aloe doesn't cause the cramping and griping that other aloe brands do.
Read up on the reviews of George's Aloe on Amazon.

Glutamine.
The next thing that is recommended for IBD is the amino acid glutamine. Glutamine helps heal the leaky gut. I'd follow the advice in the 2nd link and give her 1/16 tsp to start. You can buy measuring spoons 1/8th, 1/16th and 1/32nd on amazon.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5622680/
https://www.holisticat.com/index.php...iseases/39-ibd

ProBios.
Probiotics would be a good idea as well. ProBios is formulated for animals, you can get it in a powder form. You can get it online (Amazon) or your local Tractor Supply or Southern States if you have either of those near you. It is cheaper than Purina's Fortiflora and I think works better. It contains the strain Enterococcus faecium which is crucial to good gut flora.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29135456
https://journals.plos.org/plosone/ar...l.pone.0210854

Colloidal Silver.
The cause of IBD is generally unknown but major suspects are autoimmune disease, bacterial or viral infection. If there is a mycobacterium responsible for Ziggy's IBD then colloidal silver would be a good addition to her regimen. Colloidal silver effective against viruses. One study has shown CS as effective in reducing the inflammation of ibd. If you live in the States, I recommend you order from UtopiaSilver.com. They have the best price of CS. I've used their products for years myself and on my cats. I have used it for UTI's, eye infections as well as skin infections internally on my cats. I usually dose my cats 5ml 2-3 times daily when they're dealing with some kind of infection. Once you get her IBD under control, you can put 5ml in her water bowl and that would probably be all she would need. And to dispell and fears you might have about the use of CS and argyria aka 'The Blue Man', he made silver chloride, not colloidal silver. He threw salt in his water which created silver chloride and he drank 20 ounces of his silver chloride for years. Properly made colloidal silver with distilled water, electric current and nothing else will not cause argyria.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28267639
https://www.sota.com/files/pdf/blue_man.pdf
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4601443/

Finally, I'd consider making her food so you can control the quality as well as the ingredients. Her IBD may be exacerbated by food allergies or sensitivity as well. But I would start simply with a recipe of 80% protein, 10% veggies and 10% brown rice. LIke chicken, green beans and brown rice. Include hearts and liver too. You'll need a good vitamin supplement for her as well. She's going to need vitamins and minerals. That's gonna take research, I'm afraid. Anitra Fraizer's "Natural Cat" has a good recipe for a vitamin-mineral powder. You'll need to find a good vitamin a supplement though as cats cannot convert beta carotene to vitamin A. And I'd consider adding co-enzyme Q10 to her list of supplements for its anti-inflammatory properties and it's protective properties for the heart, liver, and kidneys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in