Cat Forum banner

Weaning orphan kittens

650 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  catloverami 
#1 ·
Hi! So I have these 2 kittens that I raised since their mom died and they're currently getting to 4 weeks old now. Recently, they don't really nurse as much as they should from the nursing bottle and they chew on my fingers and the nipple instead. Is this a sign that I should start weaning them? If so, what type of cat food should I introduce and which is the best option?

I've been browsing through google and some say that they should be weaned at 6 weeks old while other results say at 4 weeks old. I'm kinda confused and hopefully anyone who has this experience are able to help.

If its not the time to wean them yet, should I be worried and send them to the vet, or feed them a small amount of milk frequently to avoid dehydration?

#3 ·
You can still offer the nursing bottle to them, but suggest you start offering them canned food, labelled "kitten food", or at least dry kitten kibble softened with some of the baby formula enough they can lap it up. Then gradually over a couple of weeks lessen the amount of formula, so that they can chew on the kibble. Let them play with a cardoard box, as a lot of teething kittens like biting the edge of it. Congratulations on raising these kitties successfully.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.