Spay Incision Healing Normally? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Spay Incision Healing Normally?

Hello,

My ~4 month old kitten, Enid, was spayed on Thursday afternoon (so with today being Sunday she’s at 3 full days post op) and has been eating normally, sleeping lots (thank goodness), and is very active when she’s awake. I did notice today when checking her incision in the morning and again in the afternoon that she’s got a bit of some white crusty substance adhered to the regrowing hairs around her incision. Is this normal, or a sign of infection? I’ll try to post a photo with this thread.

I also have a male ~4 month old, Dexter, who was neutered at the same time and I think his little incision is healing nicely, though he did skip his wet food dinner this evening which is highly unusual for the guy, who normally polishes off his sister’s leftovers after licking his bowl clean. He ate his wet food this morning and he always has kibble available, and I know that he’s pooped at least twice since his surgery so I don’t think he’d be constipated. All this to say, I know that the pain medicine administered post-op is supposed to last only 48 hours or so, so is he not eating because he’s in some pain?

Thanks for your time—I’ve only ever adopted kitties from shelters and they’ve already been altered so this is my first time with post-op care.

Best,
Grace
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7F268796-6F18-438E-B03D-3B37401C5FAE_1566175409168.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	124318  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 12:36 AM
Premier Cat

It sounds like she's made a good recovery. If the incision is oozing white or yellowish discharge, I would suspect an infection, and she should go to a vet right away. If you're in doubt, and Enid's appetite/activity changes take her to the vet to examine the incision.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page